Dun/Chocolate Orpington Babies????? Post your pics here!!!!

Quote:
No...my chicks legs are slate colored...feet are pink

I didn't get a real great picture of their legs and feet....but this one you can at least see the color a bit more.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o57/stores_photos/IMG_4452.jpg

Oh sorry I meant the op the chick in the second pic looks like it has yellow legs

OSUman....none of the chicks have yellow legs....it's just that the picture is of the back of the leg and his foot is turned up some...so that part has some yellow on it, but his leg is slate colored. All of the chicks have slate colored legs that I hatched out.
big_smile.png

Hi all. I just wanted to follow up and see what everyone got. I think I listed it before that I got all black (one blue from a blue egg that was included).
Did anyone ever get anything besides black?
smile.png
We no longer have any but was just wondering how everyone else was doing with theirs. Good luck all with the chickies. I'll check back from time to time to see any updated pics and info on the chicks from these eggs.
frow.gif

(We will have pure chocolate orps in large fowl and bantam available later this summer early fall - keep an eye on our website for 'what's new'.)

I got two chicks - both black. One cockerel/one pullet. Re-homing both. I decided orpingtons aren't for me.
lol.png

(Edited to say: Sorry - old age strikes again. I was thinking of my three BCMs - so I changed the above to accurately reflect the dun/chocolate project chicks.)

Last edited:
Oh no CarolJ !!
ep.gif
Don't give up on Orpies! They sure are nice birds. And so many beautiful colors to choose from! But good luck in which ever breed you decide to raise
smile.png

I only had one of the chocolate eggs hatch, I think it's a pullet, but it still is black as could be!! No signs of chocolate yet!! I too have some chocolate orpington eggs in the bator (Korfus Kluckers LF chocolate project) that I'm hoping are going to make it!!
wink.png
I'd like to see pics of everybody else's chicks as well!! I'll try to get a shot of mine too!

Okay.....haven't posted for a long time on any of the threads, so I thought I would at least share some info. First off.....King and Kong (my Dun Roosters) were killed by a hawk. Thank goodness I was able to buy back some of the chicks that were hatched out of some eggs that I sold locally! I am very proud of the outcome of these chicks....they were born on December 25, 2011 and I'm very proud of what was produced! Here's some pics of them! Tell me what you think. I think on the Duns you need to keep them for up to 6 months before deciding whether the Dun color will show. My babies have always been born black and then change to the Dun color later on....anywhere from 3 to 6 months! The Dun color doesn't breed true but I like having it around when it does come along!

I also have bought several eggs from Korfus Kluckers chocolate birds...LOL Some are in the bator now and I hatched out a beautiful little chocolate baby about 6 weeks ago! I think it is a rooster!

There are 10 of them! 4 Roosters and 6 Hens! They are only 3 months old in this pic!

Fluffy butts....LOL

A trio in this pic

Closeup of a hen!

Sorry, but they all look black to me
sad.png
. Unfortunately all the eggs I purchased from you ended up black as well.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
I too was fortunate enough to get eggs/chicks from Christina's beautiful birds (12 in all !)
yesss.gif
Thank you Christina and Julie!
Here are pics of some of the true chocolates as babies. Can't wait till thy grow up! The first pic is to show the difference in Chocolate and black when they hatch, chocolate is chocolate from day one.

(Above) One Chocolate 2 Black orp chicks (the chocolate is from Christina Korfus)

3 Chocolate Orp Chicks (also from Christina's birds)

These are the CHOCOLATE LARGE FOWL project. They are from English stock and will be bred back to our large fowl black English Orpingtons to continue to increase their size. We are VERY excited about these babies!

For those reading along, Dun vs. Sex-linked Recessive Chocolate is explained at this link:(I took this off of another thread.....thanks for posting Spangled)
http://www.chickencolours.com/Brownies & Khakis.pdf

Here is an article that is very thorough about explaining the Dun color. Anybody interested in the color should read it. Dun is dominant, it is dominant over white and black thereby it dilutes black. The pictures may look like black, but there is a BIG difference between the two. If I were to take these birds and put them beside a true black....then you would notice the difference. Plus, they are only 3 months old. Their still babies and may lighten up later on. Also, I will keep my Dun because I would love to have some Khaki babies....so I'll keep mine for sure....LOL Not gonna give up on my Khaki project! It takes a ton of patience to create a color...so got to hold the line on my Duns. It's not instant gratification, but well worth the wait when it happens!

Yep rockingpaints...I think everybody who has gotten the chocolates are breeding them back to some larger blacks (English and Continental). I think even Christina was going to take some of her chocolates and breed them back to her fantastic blacks. Its so funny Nellie....I've gotten some gorgeous English Blacks too! I've also gotten several other colors as well in the English. The Lavender English are gorgeous too! As well as the Blues! Just love those fluffy butts....LOL Good luck on your breeding everybody!

BillieJo21 how did your hatch go with the chocolate eggs that you got from Christina...I hope well! Put some pics on here! We'd love to see them!

Back
Top Bottom