Duramycin 10 dosing for a Silkie

Pootersmama

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 1, 2010
New Jersey
My Silkie has a wry neck....and I need another bit of help (peoplke were nice enough to help me figure out what is wrong with her). My poor baby is getting worse, she is twisted up even worse. I started the Poly- Vi-Flor vitamins, vit e, electrolytes and increase her protein with yogurt and egg I am trying for twice a day she usually only eats it in the morning. We made sure she was eating and drinking even if we had to do it by hand. The next day she was better head just alittle crooked. Today she is very crooked, sleepier than usual, having difficulty eating and drinking because of the head (we have helped her - she did get food and water today). I want to give her duramycin 10 for a few days, incase it is an inner ear infection. My question is this...this is what I have for dosing...

if it's the Duramycin 10 that is shown in the link:

OK here's the actual dosage math for this brand at 10g per 6.4 ounce package.

OK according to this package, they want you to dose at about 500mg - 800mg per gallon of water for chickens. (http://www.durvet.com/L/119_L.pdf )
They state that the dosage will depend on the age of the bird (chicks get weaker strength), and how much they'll drink (birds that drink a lot get a little weaker strength).

10g = 10,000 mg. There are 10 grams in the package at 6.4 ounces.

Adults: 10,000 mg divided by 800mg = 12 doses per package. 12 doses = 6.4 ounces. 6.4/12 = 0.54 ounce per serving. We'll say 1/2 ounce per serving. 1/2 ounce = 3 teaspoons (kitchen measure spoon)
******Babies: 10,000mg/800mg = 20 doses per package. 6.4 ounces/20 servings = 0.32 ounce per serving. 0.32 ounces = 2 teaspoons (kitchen measuring spoon)*******

the above is courtesy of a post from 7/09 in the site here. I can do the 2 teaspoon, but in what amount of water....she will not drink 1 gallon of water, can I mix it and give it in a smaller amount of water, can I give it to her in a syringe in divided doses throughout the day? She is small about 12-14 weeks and about 3-4 pounds.

By the way, normal poops, no mites or lice, bright eyes, no discharges or drainage. We do have 4 standards and her Silkie counterpart is a rooster (surprise to me), all other are fine and show no signs of illness.

I use 1 teaspoon per quart....made fresh daily. If you're uncertain about her getting enough down, use a syringe periodically through the day.

I use an old half gallon milk jug and use either a half teaspoon or a full teaspoon (depends on whos getting it) and change the water every couple of hours. Keep the jug in the fridge otherwise. This makes sure it stays fresh and potent

In my experience, they never come out of it, no matter what you do. And she may improve, but it will return eventually.

My best advice is to prepare yourself for the inevitable, and detach yourself from the situation so that the bird doesn't suffer.

I have her on Poly-Vi-Sol 3 drops twice a day (since Wednesday), Vit E 400 units divided in half twice a day (since Wednesday), and a Selenium 50mcg crushed and divided in to twice a day (since yesterday). She is getting electrolytes in her water (since wednesday) and today I added the duramycin 10. I was advised to seperate her from the group, I did that and she cried and clucked, I finally gave in and put her back with the group. I am hand watering her frequently during the day and hand feeding her as well. She is eating and drinking.
I cannot bear the thought of not having her come out of this.

Quote:
Let me share my experience.

I once had a show winning blue pullet; she was just awesome. Never had any issues with wry neck, never showed any symptoms, and she was 6 months old, give or take a few. She was on a proper show diet, had never even touched the bare ground, I hadn't brought in any new birds, and I always practiced good biohazard prevention. I came home one day and her neck was so bent that it was between her legs and she was cutting flips anytime she tried to move. I treated, and treated, and treated her with everything that everyone always suggests. Selenium, vitamin this that and the other, and everything else. She improved for about three days and looked like it might be getting better. I came home one afternoon a week later, and she was pretty much laying on her back because she could no longer stand up with the way her head was.

I had to put her down, because it isn't fair to the animal to make it live like that.

Wry neck is still a mystery, and there is absolutely no firm facts on the condition. Some say its genetic, some say its infectious, some say its neurological, but no one knows for sure.

Thank-you for your story - It is a reality check. Most people have been positive about treating her and I need to give it a try, I will not keep her if she is suffering extensively. She is my 12 year olds and Sky already saw one of her chicken half eaten by a raccoon. As of right now she is getting the vitamins, food and water...we are going to try, if she has to go then the other has to go (it is a rooster and I would not keep him) - Skyler would be devistated if bother of her chickens were gone. I am not sure I would replace them with Silkies, we have 4 standards and they are ruthless....Peaches is still walking around, pecking at the ground, preening. Her head does go up right. She is not getting worse and I see very slow improvement today...We will watch her closely.

Back
Top Bottom