Dust bath at a week old?

Craftygirl

Songster
9 Years
Nov 30, 2013
Nebraska
I have 4 one week old chicks. All are healthy, eating and drinking. No pasty butt and no odd behavior.

Yesterday I noticed the yellow one had made a hollow area in the wood bedding and was napping in it. Today I go in there and the black one is well dusted in wood shavings, was completely surrounded in a nice built up hollow area of bedding, soundly sleeping. It was so very cute!

I went to get my camera and it was enough to wake her and she's up and eating again. LOL

Do they dust bathe at this early age? I will go to town and get some sand or I can even go out in the back and get some dirt for them?

I have chick grit in the brooder with them and they have been eating some of that but it's not small enough for any kind of dust type bath.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance..

I have 4 one week old chicks. All are healthy, eating and drinking. No pasty butt and no odd behavior.

Yesterday I noticed the yellow one had made a hollow area in the wood bedding and was napping in it. Today I go in there and the black one is well dusted in wood shavings, was completely surrounded in a nice built up hollow area of bedding, soundly sleeping. It was so very cute!

I went to get my camera and it was enough to wake her and she's up and eating again. LOL

Do they dust bathe at this early age? I will go to town and get some sand or I can even go out in the back and get some dirt for them?

I have chick grit in the brooder with them and they have been eating some of that but it's not small enough for any kind of dust type bath.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance..
Yes,they do dust bathe at an early age. I used a guinea pig litter box filled sand,my silkie chicks slept in it and used it for dust bathing.

Yup, when I first saw it I thought the poor thing was having a seizure, freaked me out till I realized what she was doing.
lau.gif
Me too!

LOL at the seizure! I'll remember that. When I got in there she was already fast asleep.

And thanks so much for easing my mind. :) good to know I have a couple 'clean' chicks. ha ha

Back
Top Bottom