Dust bath...

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I am wanting to put a dust bath together for our small chicks, but don't seem to be finding sand anywhere... is there anything else I could use? I usually do sand with DE but was wondering if there is anything else I could use?

Filtered dirt so it is fine. Go to a big hardware store Lowe's Home depot or ? They have it in the cement area. 10 to 15 lbs of sand or filtered dirt and 2 to 3 pounds of DE (diatomaceous earth) food grade and your set.
102768_1320438621666.jpg
GoodluckToYou.gif

SOmetimes we think ourselves to death! I mean, how simple is that! THat is what all chickens dust bath in after all (aside from the DE of course) - will take a trip outside tomorrow and avail myself of our plethora of natural dust
smile.png
Yee hah!

I have a old turtle sand box and put dirt,
sand and DE inside. I drilled holes in the
bottom so it could drain after a rain.
I do occasionally go out and "stir".
They love it, rocks, grit and sand, and
bugs, and pine needles, and, etc.....

Our hens think our raised garden bed (which is a mixture of sand, peat moss and compost) is the best dust bath in town. They also like the spot in the garden where I burned some yard waste. The ashes are nice and powdery, but it does bad things to my white leghorns.

I used Sphagnum Peat Moss mixed with construction sand. Then when I was cleaning out the spent growing medium in my veggies planters, I tossed that in, too. I also dig up dirt, complete with weed seeds and bugs and mix that in also. The chickens all love it, especially my alpha roo, who can be seen in the dirt bath all by himself, flipping dirt over himself, oinking in guilty pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom