Dust baths

Crybbyxo

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2020
So my chicks are probably about 5-6 weeks now(one is a little younger than the rest). I have been trying to get dust so the can take dust baths but every time I try to pick it up locally its out of stock. I was wondering if it is better to make your own dust mix? Or if any one has any recommendations on brands?

I just use the local sand. I know some folks mix wood ashes with sand as well. Some folks also add diatomaceous earth but there is a lot of disagreement about de.

Thank you!! So I think I I'll mix up some peat moss and sand since they are pretty quickly attainable. Is there any difference in whether I use play sand or local sand? I was thinking the play sand would be finer but idk if that makes a difference.

They'll doubtless be happy to have either. Our local sand is super fine, we live near sand dunes and the soil here is mostly sand with a tiny bit of dirt mixed in or fill rock.

Thank you!! So I think I I'll mix up some peat moss and sand since they are pretty quickly attainable. Is there any difference in whether I use play sand or local sand? I was thinking the play sand would be finer but idk if that makes a difference.

I don't use sand so not knowledgeable on it... just check the "ingredients" in the sand and make sure there's nothing added to it. Otherwise for dust bathing any relatively fine-ish sand should work.

Back
Top Bottom