Dust free bedding?

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
My wee bantams and silkies are going to be inside for the foreseeable future and I’m ready to move past the puppy pads since the older chicks tear them up quite quickly. I usually love pine pellets, but my washroom is thick with dust. Currently I am not having a dust issue from the feathers, etc. There’s so many new bedding choices! Coffee grounds, hemp, etc. One of the benefits of puppy pads is the tiniest chicks can reach the water easily and elevating it is not an option

I've had issues with pine shavings being dusty. I like using wood stove pellets, or pelleted animal bedding these days. Saw my feed store using them and haven't looked back. Its great for ducks too! Stays very clean.
Do you think the pellets focused for small animal bedding would be less dusty than horse stall pellets? It’s my favourite bedding outside, but sooooo dusty

Will the little turds eat this and get sick?
2FFC2A5C-D062-4117-9A66-ED3471A9E998.png

Do you think the pellets focused for small animal bedding would be less dusty than horse stall pellets? It’s my favourite bedding outside, but sooooo dusty
I use pine pellets for cat litter and have found those sold as cat litter to be identical to those sold as horse bedding. That said, I'm very happy with the pine pellets for cat litter. There are lots of other kinds of litters made out of all sorts of things: newspaper, nut shells, etc. etc.

Will the little turds eat this and get sick?View attachment 3032852
This?
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/kaytee-clean-and-cozy-small-animal-bedding
I think it would get dirty very fast. I used to use it for my rabbit which is worked great for, but It think that chicks would get it messy. Its very light weight and not very durable. It would get squashed down, and yes, I'd be concerned they would eat it. Thats why I like the pelleted bedding, its way to big for young birds to eat. I wouldn't raise Cornish X on it with restricted feeding though.

Back
Top Bottom