Dust or Liquid??

IonaFarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
I posted this question on another topic.

Maybe some of you can give me a more detailed answer.

I'll be dusting my chicks this weekend. But I've seen liquid and liquid concentrate of Sevin. Is the dust/powder better or does it stay on the chicks longer?

Is there a difference in the ingredients?

I have asthma so I have to wear a dust mask while doing this. If it bothers my asthma and breathing wouldn't it effect the chicks?

Thanks for any info you can reply with.
smile.png

Im sure seven isnt the best thing for the bird's respiratory system, however, getting dusted once in a while im sure wont do long term damage. You are predisposed to being more sensitive due to your asthma. I would think the liquid seven would dry sooner, and work the same so long as it hit the mites instantly, but think the dust would maintain its efficacy longer....... you know, after reading ur origional post again, are you having a problem with mites? What is your reason for dusting?..... good luck.

Haven't actually seen the mites, but some chicks have lost feathers in tail and vent area's. Eyesight isn't the greatest right now.

That's the main reason I've seen on this forum. Any other reasons?

Quote:
I recommend that you visually inspect your chicks before treating with sevin. I use a magnifying glass to check my hens. Walmart has them and they arnt that expensive. Besides, my magnifying glass has had much more use for other things as well....like reading fine print lol. It's possible your chicks could be picking on each other if there's not enough room for them, in which case you'd have to expand their living area. Also, chicks will pick their own feathers out because other feathers are trying to grow in and the old ones are irritating them. Another reason could be that they are missing something in their diet, they should be fed starter chick feed. When I had chicks, I used an infrared light, not a white light. I've read that a red light seems to calm them and prevents picking/pecking. If you find lice/mites, I recommend you use sevin dust. You can control the amount of dust that goes on your chicks by gently rubbing the dust onto them. I dont recommend using a mixture of liqiud sevin on chicks because it could possibly chill them, even if it's warm water, they still can chill and possibly get sick. Also, the liquid can easily be absorbed through their skin and it might adversly affect their developing internal systems and cause problems.

Thank-you for the replies. The temp is due to be higher tomorrow so it will be dusting day.

I have a infra red light in with my 8 weeks old chicks. Mainly for the heat since the temp has gotten low at night - 30's. The 8 wk olds aren't too young to dust are they? Or is it dust only if needed with them?

I'll check all my chickens closely before dusting.

Thanks again for the replies.
wink.png

Quote:
My rule of thumb is......I don't treat unless I see a problem that requires treatment.....no need to expose animals(or us) to chemicals that are not needed. As others have already said.....check for mites(or any pest for that matter!) before treating.

As for the liquid Sevin..I don't advise using that on any animal ever. And I hesitate to use even the dust on younger birds. Try to refrain from using Sevin powder until the chicks at least three months old or older unless you find positive proof you have a serious infestation. I'd try to contact your state College of Agriculture Animal Sciences department or local County Extension Agent to see what they recomend as treatment for mites on baby chicks.

Larry

Quote:
My rule of thumb is......I don't treat unless I see a problem that requires treatment.....no need to expose animals(or us) to chemicals that are not needed. As others have already said.....check for mites(or any pest for that matter!) before treating.

As for the liquid Sevin..I don't advise using that on any animal ever. And I hesitate to use even the dust on younger birds. Try to refrain from using Sevin powder until the chicks at least three months old or older unless you find positive proof you have a serious infestation. I'd try to contact your state College of Agriculture Animal Sciences department or local County Extension Agent to see what they recomend as treatment for mites on baby chicks.

Larry

Sevin has been recommended for use on chickens, chicks and in nest boxes for years.

Quote:

Larry

Sevin has been recommended for use on chickens, chicks and in nest boxes for years.

Sevin dust..yes. Liquid Sevin.... a vet told me years ago not safe. As for the chicks....my personal opinion only...I do not feel comfortable using Seven or any other chemical on very young animals, Yea I grew up doing that on the farm but I've become more cautious in my 55 years.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom