Dust

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crooked stripe, Mar 10, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Does any one have a good fix for all the dust from the chicks. I spend a ton of time cleaning and it is just a little to cold for the coop. It is still worth cleaning and watching them grow. Just hopeing. John

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are dusty critters. No cure for it that I know of and I have been doing this for a very long time. However, if you do find a magic cure please let me know ASAP! LOL

3. TheFunnyFarm

TheFunnyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    I have 34 chicks in a 3x3x8 stock tank in our family room dust doesn't seem to be a problem yet........but now I'm freaking out because I started thinking they would have to be here for about 5 or 6 weeks (wisconsin weather) may be longer........I'v gone down right chicken CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I clean 2 times a day and there is no way I can keep up. My chicks are just 4 weeks. The wife seems to enjoy keeping them in the family room so I just keep cleaning. They flap their wings and it looks like a snow storm. I am waiting for things to start disappearing from the dust. Eyes aren't what they use to be. John

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  5. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

nylon net, tulle, or "no see um" netting over the brooder ?

wiping down with microfibre cloth ?

furnace filter except where the heat lamp is ?

feather duster from flylady.net ?

just ideas ...

I liked the idea of using alfalfa pellets rather than shavings ... I wonder if that would cut down the dust, or at least change the character of the dust ?

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Nope there is no cure except to clean and dust alot!!!...There is a craft store in DC that specializes in a brand of whimsical furniture its called Dust Furniture...Heck, I have that here all the time with chickies in a brooder box in the house...lol...so I now have classified my house furniture my dust furniture [​IMG] I also take my reading glasses off that helps alot not to see it [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  7. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Use cob littler, or pine pellets instead of shavings and there is no dust [​IMG]

8. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are pine pellets something you get at the critter store?

9. propagata

propagata Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Any one know when the dust starts? My chicks are two weeks old and so far it hasn't been a problem, but as I am a neat freak it would be nice to know so I can move them into the garage :) Does the dust come from the bedding?

10. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I believe the dust comes from feather development. I like to look at is as the feathers grow in little tubes and as the feathers grow the tubes fall apart exposing the feathers thus make dust. I keep the brooder in the barn where I store my rc airplanes and at times the dust gets so bad you can't see the designs on the wings. This only takes a few days from a dozen chicks. Cleaning is well worth it when you can get hand raised chicks. Just part of life. I have no degree in chickenology just what I see. I think the dust starts as soon as the feathers start. Within a week or so. John

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by