Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
Yes, temperments are a biggie with our daughter. She spends hours with her chickens, they are VERY tame. If we could find a quality breeder we would do chicks. She would prefer to raise them herself. Mom & dad hoped that finding older pair would end the problem of having so many extra birds that we need to find a home for and also hoping she had a few quality birds from the group.

You should head out to the Ohio National, it is the Dutch National meet this year. Sarah Frank is usually showing, and she has some very tame Dutch of good quality and usualy has some to sell.

I have a pullet I'm willing to part with, but I don't know if her quality is any good because I'm not a breeder and I only have the 1.I didn't realize when I was pulling the cute chicks I was grabbing all bantam. I want decent eggs

I had not thought of attending the Ohio Nationals, our daughter would love it. I would need to convince my husband for a mad dash cross country trip, this is a very busy time of year for our family business. Our Oldest was seriously into horses so we figure chicken expenses are WAY cheaper! We made many cross country tips for her horse activities.
We are rather enjoying Gabby's interest in chickens but get frustrated not having any conections in the poultry world like we did with horses. We do know enough that we don't have anything to do with hatcheries for her birds.

Does any one else know any good Dutch breeders who would be at Nationals and contact information. Thanks

Is there a Dutch breed that is not bantam? I have 6 chickens, almost 11 weeks old. The lady that gave me the chicks recently told me they are 'Dutch black', but a 'cochin banty' was the grandfather. What confuses me is that they have a pea comb, which I guess is not a trait of either breed.
The legs/feet are slate with yellow bottoms. The mother, which I saw, was a very large jet black hen. The rooster I did not see.
Here are pics taken today:

70052_1030001615.jpg

Hen:
70052_1030001614.jpg

Rooster:
70052_1030001613.jpg

70052_1030001612.jpg

Any thoughts? thanks!

they are very pretty birds but I don't think they are dutch bantam, see how many toes they have they seem to have one of the fancy breeds in them but I don't think it was a bantam cochin. maybe a silky or poland, dutch bantam are true bantams, with white lobes and straight comb, and look like the birds in the pictures posted color varieties include black, but if I looked at your birds and had to guess what they were I would never say dutch, and I'm no expert.

Quote:
Those are 75% or better sumatra. I have quite a lot of them in bantam, all black, (or blue) same feathering (males are a long tailed fowl though), same combs, legs black, bottom of feet yellow, every thing you discribed is sumatra

I am looking for good quality dutch breeder pairs. I am seeking Cream Light Browns, Light Browns, Blue Light Browns, and Blues. I will be at the Eastern National in Ohio. If you have something, and can bring it to the Ohio Show, PLEASE let me know. Thanks!

Just bought a beautiful cream brown guy with a light brown lady, at the Ohio National. Very excited, I think he is the most beautiful bird I've ever seen!
Will post pictures tomorrow!!!

Back
Top Bottom