Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics

Pathfinders

Crowing
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Northern KY
I am starting this thread to be specific to the Dutch Bantam breed. I am the D3 Director of the American Dutch Bantam Society, and would be happy to answer any questions I can about this lovely breed.

Thanks!

Laura

30646_kens_pics_016.jpg

This is my three month old Dutch rooster.The only egg out of 15 that hatched.I think he is a light brown Dutch, what do you think?

Last edited:
Looks more like a Cream Light Brown to me. Too young to really evaluate. Comb leaves a bit to be desired.

Can anyone comment on if they are hardy in the cold? What sort of set-up would I have to have in Minnesota? Winter temp max low is about -25 deg F., Occasionally cold stretches where it stays below 0 deg F for a few days in a row. My current set-up is a coop that is partially insulated. The run is covered and the sides are enclosed with plastic so wind-chill is not a factor. On the coldest days I use a "flower pot heater"...a 100 watt bulb covered with a flower pot inside the coop... but the inside of the coop is still below freezing. I have a heated dog bowl. Does this sound sufficient or should I stick to LF breeds?

The picture posted above does indeed look like a Cream Light Brown, but I agree, too young to be evaluated. From whom were the eggs purchased?

Dutch, as with any Single Combed breed, do not do well in sub-zero temperatures, especially if there is dampness and/or draftiness. Large fowl Single Combed breeds may do better than bantams, but any bird with a Single Comb is going to struggle in those sorts of environments.

You may wish to look into birds with pea combs (see the Buckeye thread) as they will be more cold hardy for your location.

Does anyone have any show quality pictures of silver dutch? The ABC has changed the silver variety from silver duckwing to match the description of Silver Dutch in the SOP, so I would like to see a picture of what I should be breeding towards now.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom