Dutch Hookbill Hatch!

I see you've got the shelf liner in there under the Turner! I did not think they would roll properly with the shelf liner under there.
Or are you hand turning them and not using the Turner?

Yep, I have it under the turner! It works really well. I found that with lightweight eggs, the turner would just shove them and they didn't roll over. The shelf liner grips them so they don't skid and instead roll, so I just started doing it that way with all my eggs.

Yep, I have it under the turner! It works really well. I found that with lightweight eggs, the turner would just shove them and they didn't roll over. The shelf liner grips them so they don't skid and instead roll, so I just started doing it that way with all my eggs.
I'm gonna do this next time!
I have also noticed that sometimes they don't roll.
I've gotten to where I mark them and to get in there and kind of move them around once in awhile too because I worry about that.

I'm gonna do this next time!
I have also noticed that sometimes they don't roll.
I've gotten to where I mark them and to get in there and kind of move them around once in awhile too because I worry about that.
Yeah, I usually jiggle my NR 360 a few times a day and give it an extra turn just to be sure nothing is staying stuck for long periods of time.

I've been looking for Dutch Hookbills for awhile; I'm fascinated with anything odd or unusual in the poultry world, and the hookbills certainly fit the bill. However, they are critically endangered, according to The Livestock Conservancy, and that makes them very hard to find.

Finally I got lucky and found someone who has a flock and who would sell me eggs. So, 23 eggs arrived to my house. Upon unpacking, unfortunately the post office had managed to crack four of them, leaving 19 intact.

So, 19 eggs went into my incubator. 13 days later, 16 of those eggs are developing!

Hopefully in 15 days, they will start hatching. Fingers crossed!

View attachment 2606556
Holderreads sells hookbills if you want some genetic diversity.

Holderread retired after last year. I'm not sure if they'll be selling adults this year or not. But I'll keep my eye on them to see :)
They just downsized and stoped selling ducklings. They still sell hookbills and golden cascades. For how much longer is anyones guess. At least that was when i talked to them this spring.

Back
Top Bottom