Dye-Setting Batik Fabrics-NOW, What Color Thread??

Me, too, but my hands have a hard time dealing with tiny pieces. I used to like making what they call big block quilts, no little pieces, lots of progress FAST. I have rubbermaid tubs of scraps of useable sizes. I throw away those that I'm sure I won't ever use. Maybe I ought to send them to you!
Haha... Amazing how those scraps can pile up! I've been saving old cruddy T-shirts for years, to make a rug. You should see the *garbage bags* full of those things... I need to make that rug pronto before that scrap bag takes over the house!
lol.png

Beautiful quilt Cynthia! Yes, I would go with the light gray thread too. By the time you have the quilting done and the washing, the thread color will be secondary to the texture of the surface...crinkly-quilty...Lol. Grays are more neutral to the eye than tans or creams. The pink would be great for the backing, but would show too much on the teal/turquoise. Glad you got the batik color to finally bled out enough to use. Next time try boiling a selvage strip in water with equal measures of baking soda and canning salt (no iodine). Some dyes are simply too "bloody" to set easily...reds are the worst.
Thank you, Kathryn! I really wanted you to pop in here. I sort of had that feeling, that the pink would be fighting too much to be the star. With so much going on in this quilt, the fabrics in addition to the barn raising arrangement, the thread really ought to just be a wallflower. On a side note, I put a bunch of historic prints in my shopping cart at Thousands of Bolts, but didn't hit checkout yet. I love historic prints! But, I have spent so much recently, plus had all the scraps from this quilt, too, I think I need to make something else with these. Though my customer did not want grays in the fabric, I think I will add some nice grays to the roses and turquoise/teals and do another log cabin variation, maybe the chevron? I'm not sure how to to it since it really is different, not two distinct sides to it. This one, but of course, in the other colors: Yeah, you like my term "crinkly-quilty"? Seems descriptive enough, right? :D
Nice chevron! And yes crinkly-quilty is very accurate!

I'm going with the light gray. I did a small test piece on some scrap fabric and the thread seems good and strong. Ready to go tomorrow when I'm fresh. It's sandwiched.

And I'm doing an all-over dewdrop pattern sort of like this test swatch.

Last edited:
That is going to look terrific! I love your pattern. Your curves are so nice and even, and I do know you are doing this all by free motion on your machine. I have tried this and it's not easy, I know!

I'm going with the light gray. I did a small test piece on some scrap fabric and the thread seems good and strong. Ready to go tomorrow when I'm fresh. It's sandwiched.

And I'm doing an all-over dewdrop pattern sort of like this test swatch.

That's beautiful Cyn!

Back
Top Bottom