Dyeing Easter Eggs...

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
I am SO looking forward to dyeing eggs with the nieces and nephews this year, and I am really wanting to bring some "farm fresh" eggs, and I thought that Silkie eggs would be fun since they've probably never seen a small egg before. Then I thought about Serama eggs and how amazed they'd be at those. So I have a friend helping me out with a dozen or so Serama eggs for Easter.

Other than the mini Serama egg, what is another interesting egg? Do quail eggs taste like chicken eggs? I thought about bringing them some speckled ones too...

This isn't so much a cool egg, as a natural way to dye them. Take some onion skins..yellow or red work best. Wrap the raw egg in the onion skin, cover with cheese cloth and tie it up with twine. Hard boil them, adding some vinegar to the water. The eggs turn out beautiful!

I don't know how quail eggs tatse but they sure would be beautiful to dye--I get to dye some with my 2 year old this year and I can't wait either!!! I thought I might see how some green Araucana eggs would look all decorated up!!
big_smile.png

quail eggs taste better.
big_smile.png
the kid's will
love.gif
them cause they r kid sized too!!! i got 5 kid's and i love to color eggs with them. quail eggs never lasted in my house when we raised them always r downed long before chicken eggs.

ya wanna teach em a kool trick to. take a raw egg in shell and leave it in a jar/cup/baggie for a week of just plain white vinigar so it covers whole egg. the egg becomes rubber like they will love it.
gig.gif
do it like a week before easter and show em what ya made when u go to color the others. and another small egg breed i can think of is my japs about the size of seramas if that might help too.

have fun!!
silkie

Quote:
We're going to do some natural dyes this year too. You can also use...

beets, cranberries, radishes, raspberries, cranberry- or pickled-beet juice for RED or PINK
grape juice, red cabbage, or equal parts beet juice and blueberry juice for PURPLE
canned blueberries (with juice), red cabbage for BLUE
spinach leaves for GREEN
peels from Yellow Delicious apples for GOLD-GREEN
turmeric, celery seed, cumin, curry powder, orange/lemon peels, carrot tops for YELLOW
yellow onion skins for YELLOW-ORANGE
strongly brewed coffee or tea for BROWN
dill seeds for BROWN-GOLD
chili powder for BROWN-ORANGE
jumpy.gif

(from "EGG-citing colors, Naturally!" by Janeen R. Adil, published in Cricket Magazine on april 2007)

Quote:
We're going to do some natural dyes this year too. You can also use...

beets, cranberries, radishes, raspberries, cranberry- or pickled-beet juice for RED or PINK
grape juice, red cabbage, or equal parts beet juice and blueberry juice for PURPLE
canned blueberries (with juice), red cabbage for BLUE
spinach leaves for GREEN
peels from Yellow Delicious apples for GOLD-GREEN
turmeric, celery seed, cumin, curry powder, orange/lemon peels, carrot tops for YELLOW
yellow onion skins for YELLOW-ORANGE
strongly brewed coffee or tea for BROWN
dill seeds for BROWN-GOLD
chili powder for BROWN-ORANGE
jumpy.gif

(from "EGG-citing colors, Naturally!" by Janeen R. Adil, published in Cricket Magazine on april 2007)

going to try some of these with my nephew this year!

Back
Top Bottom