Dying chick, help

shadowbanned

Songster
May 29, 2021
8 week old ayam cemani has been acting sad. She's the runt and always has been. I noticed her keeping to herself more though. My son noticed she didn't run like the other chickens today. He picked her up and she flapped to get away so he set her down but she just laid on her side. He ran to get me. When I walked in she was laying on her side gasping for air. I don't know if she is injured or sick or what to do to help her and protect the rest of my flock.

Use the Corid dosage in post 5 for the liquid Corid. You can give her some of the undiluted Corid around 1/4 ml orally once a day. Dip her beak in the treated water often to get her drinking. You can also sprinkle some Corid treated water on a few chick crumbles so that she will get some.
She didn't make it. I posted a picture of her last poop. Does it look normal? I got the corid and safeguard. Idk if I should treat everyone or not. It happened so fast, I almost wonder if she got injured. The other birds are much bigger, although there were only 6 of them in that pen.

Corid is very safe, so you can treat all chicks. If you have this chick separated, I would treat just it. How are you keeping you chicks? I would not use fermented feed on baby chicks. That is just my opinion though. I used FF for most of a year, and I feel like it isn’t necessary or if it really makes a difference in their health. My yard was a mess from it, they wasted it, and it became a pain to use in freezing weather. In hot weather I worried about mold. For baby chicks, they need to learn how to eat chicken crumbles and to forage. Coccidiosis is very common from 3-9 weeks old, and it can be a chronic and ongoing infection in some chicks preventing them from gaining weight. Worming might also be something that you would want to do.

8 week old ayam cemani has been acting sad. She's the runt and always has been. I noticed her keeping to herself more though. My son noticed she didn't run like the other chickens today. He picked her up and she flapped to get away so he set her down but she just laid on her side. He ran to get me. When I walked in she was laying on her side gasping for air. I don't know if she is injured or sick or what to do to help her and protect the rest of my flock.
does she get enough food and water?

What do her poops look like? Can you take her aside and make sure that she is getting food and water and couple of times a day? Moistened chickens feed, a little scrambled egg or tuna cannbe good. If she is not eating and has runny poops, coccidiosis might be a problem. It would not hurt to treat her with Corid just in case. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Back
Top Bottom