Dying Chicken.... Why?

GrandRapidsGirl

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 31, 2013
I have a 7 month old Silkie that seems to be on the verge of death.

Since I got her at about 5 months, her droppings have been more like water than what I would expect.I've had her on antibiotics and vitamins/electrolytes.

A month ago she had a swollen face and runny nose (that's when I started dosing the water with antibiotics) and it cleared up within a week.

The last couple of days she has been a real wallflower and pretty antisocial with the other chickens. Her tail has been becoming droopier and droopier and she hunches more and more. Today she won't leave the coop. She's very wobbly and her wings are just hanging. There was some whitish froth coming out of her mouth and she barely opens her eyes. She's been feeling quite thin but, until today seemed to be eating and drinking.

I don't know what to do for her. She's one of my first hens so I don't have the experience to deal with this. I feel just awful about it.

Also, none of the other chickens seem at all ill, nor have they in the few months that we've had this chicken that is now so sick.

Any advice or information would be extremely helpful!

I think I'd take her to the vet asap. they have access to stronger antibotis then we have and he can accurately diagnose this issue.if that's not possible for whatever reason I'd try and give a shot of baytril.problem is baytril is hard to get so second choice might be tylan 50. you can get it at the feed store in the cattle section.don't worry bottle says for cattle . many many poultry owners use it including myself. it packs quite a punch on illness. small bird dose is 1/4 cc once daily for 5 days.I'd use that dose because she's so thin. my guess is the respiratory illness never really went away.as for water stool you can give robotics to help.you might need to hydrate with a syringe and feed that way too.not sure about the frothing of her mouth. she sounds pretty sick.. I'd give the injection immediately if you can't get her to a vet for whatever reason..but honestly I think vet would be best at this point.,good luck! I wish you the best.

hmmm.. besides bringing her to the vet, i am not sure. I would separate her from the other chickens for now, give her lots of nutrient dense foods like scrambled eggs. Sorry to hear she is sick.

Back
Top Bottom