HELP! I think my 4 year old Rhode island red is dying.

Shannanb74

Chirping
Nov 7, 2020
So a couple months Ago I noticed that my rhode island red was not laYing. At first when I picked her up. I thought she may be egg bound. So I had a friend of mine who is a vet Tech. Come and check her and she noticed That it was not and an egg bound chicken but a hard mass. All of a sudden, she started Pooping runny, bright green drops. Now, besides the runny dropping, the mass is now squishy. And and her comb is pale and Even though I see her eating constantly, she is very thin. Over the past couple days, her equilibrium seems to be off. I feel so bad for her. She is the sweetest girl and it is breaking my heart. What do I do? There is no aviary veterinary anywhere near me. What could it be? How can I help her?

It sounds like parasites to me, since she's eating but not gaining weight. I'd try some type of antibiotic in case of some internal infection or virus, maybe coccidia, either shot or oral (I use Tylan 200). Has she been de-wormed recently (might be the issue since the worms take the nutrients from their host)? Hope she gets better. Prayers will be said. 😔🙏🏻

Also, signs of coccidia are below.
1. Weight loss.
2. Paleness to wattles and/or comb.
3. Ruffled feathers or loss of feathers.
4. Depression.
5. Huddling/lethargic.
6. Unwilling to eat.
AND 7. Watery and/or bloody feces.

https://www.backyardchickencoops.co...ickens-prevention-symptoms-and-treatment-tips

(Link MIGHT help, it's on coccidia/coccidiosis.) 🙏🏻

Is the mass visible with a picture? How old is she? Has she molted this year, and could that have been why she was not laying? Is he crop filling up with food, and then emptying by early morning? Cancer and internal laying are common in hens over 2. Many times it is hard to know what is going on until they die, and a necropsy either at home or by the state vet, can be done.

Is the mass visible with a picture? How old is she? Has she molted this year, and could that have been why she was not laying? Is he crop filling up with food, and then emptying by early morning? Cancer and internal laying are common in hens over 2. Many times it is hard to know what is going on until they die, and a necropsy either at home or by the state vet, can be done.
The mass is internal but it keeps her poop from being able to drop and I have to go wash her daily. Also, it is no longer runny but quite yellow. She is 4 and she has never molted. She eats and eats but her crop does not fill. I have been giving her some vitamins in water which seems to perk her up temporarily. Her comb/wattles are sagging. She stands with her tail down. My other 2 chickens are fine. No issues. They lay daily. My Red hasn't laid in a year.

The mass is internal but it keeps her poop from being able to drop and I have to go wash her daily. Also, it is no longer runny but quite yellow. She is 4 and she has never molted. She eats and eats but her crop does not fill. I have been giving her some vitamins in water which seems to perk her up temporarily. Her comb/wattles are sagging. She stands with her tail down. My other 2 chickens are fine. No issues. They lay daily. My Red hasn't laid in a year.
Also, I had avet tech friend come over when she first seemed off and she checked to see if she was egg bound and that's when we found the original hard mass

I would think that she may have cancer if she is eating well and still losing weight. I would try to make her as comfortable as possible, feed and water her, and if she appears to ever be suffering, think about put her down. Then I would either do a home necropsy or have you state vet do one, which would possibly let you see what is going on inside. If you do a necropsy at home, take some pictures of her organs to post here.

Back
Top Bottom