1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dying easter eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickabator, Mar 23, 2009.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    How on earth do you dye brown eggs, I tried last year and all I got was a brownish green color. I now have white eggs so I know how to do them I also have ameraucana eggs so I don't have to dye them. but I have to dye at least 10 dozen eggs for easter maybe more. I am suppling them for our sunday school and I have to boil all of them and dye all of them [​IMG] and I want all my eggs to be fresh for them. any suggestions?

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Food Color and Vinegar? Maybe the commercial dye kits but I thing the food color route would be cheaper with that many eggs.

3. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    that is how I done it last year didn't work.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    instead of using the liquid food colouring found at the grocery store what a about the colouring paste that professionals use?

http://search.wilton.com/?q=food+coloring&x=0&y=0

its a thick paste and you would need to apply it with a q-tip or something but cause the colour is more concentrated you may get the colours you are looking for

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I had always used the kits you can buy (I saw now they even have glitter kits how fun [​IMG] ) but I remember as a child my grandmother showed me how to use food colors instead. I know you had to use vinegar to fix the color but I don't know how much vinegar you had to use.

6. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

My daughter just dyed some with the generic store-bought dye kit. The pink came out very nice followed by the yellow. Green and blue came out a little dark. We used very little - almost no - vinegar. It made the dye lighter on the egg shell.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  7. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by