Dying rooster - How to care for him in his last moments...?

Pics
Hi!

Apache can walk for a bit longer now, but since he has been gaining weight, he is now clearly (at least) a bit burdened by his weight...

I feel he needs to gain muscle mass around the chest and/or belly, so he could hold himself high on his legs... but I don't actually really know?

Do I have to let Apache strenghten himself by his own efforts, or do I have to help him by rearranging his physical reeducation...?

I'm no expert... I don't know what to do better, or if I really should have to try something different...

Yes. Thankfully...!

Weather is quite warm, but even then, my chickens don't drink a lot of water for now...

Wet chick feed... exist?
I did not know they made it! (But I don't think I could find it in my country...?)

Earlier this morning, I gave a mix of wet dog food and crumbs (for chicks) to Apache.
BUT : he is not interested by his bowl for now - because Mister has his own taste, and apparently doesn't like crumbs...!

Ok...
No : you are so much right... so I am going to give some fishs to Apache!

I was so much thinking to keep him hydrated with wet pet food AND giving him some proteins and vitamins I did not even think to give him fish specifically
- although I am used to give them to my chickens, and they love them...!!

Thank you for this information!!

I actually have (had?) an account on Facebook, but I can no longer access it...

I was told once somebody was using my account, and I don't know it is true (I'm stupid with the Internet); but when I had tried to connect on it (to delete it) some years ago, I strangely could not anymore : my account had been locked.
And Facebook did not send any email to me when I tried to recover it...!!

...I would like to ask some help on this group (Rooster Allies), but I first have to recover my account for that - if the thing still exists.
I am going to try, and I will post the result!

Different or not, your experience can only give me hope!!
(I'm grateful when people tell me their stories...)
Thank you!

I would really like to see a picture of your rooster...?
Yes, understand about facebook. There is a youtube page by the same founders, in case that helps. Mostly educational videos and podcasts, but you can also write to them personally. https://www.youtube.com/@roovolution I don't know how much vet advice they have, but they are very supportive of finding creative solutions and may have access to experts in their larger network. They advocate for roosters while studying their behaviors and spreading information about big personalities and complex intelligence.

On second thought, sardines may have a lot of salt. Not sure whether it's over the limit, thought table salt could be added to pet food as well. If it were mineral salt, wouldn't be so bad as there are health benefits. There's also canned mackerel is another favorite, though fatty. I know some people give bits of tilapia and kelp when their chickens need a boost. Naturally eggs are quite replenishing.

Here is a picture of Lana the rooster. We thought he was a hen for the longest time since he was slow to develop due his health issues as a baby. My boyfriend called him Lana for Lana Turner in the hopes of turning things around.

Attachments

• Lana.jpeg
    Lana.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Lana at 10 weeks.JPG
    Lana at 10 weeks.JPG
    636.1 KB · Views: 4
Hi!

So... I tried to get back my Facebook account, and Facebook did not send me an email; but whatever for now...

I had Apache confined back in his run the last few days, because of the rain...
It is still raining for now, but I currently have Apache inside of my house - since he is wet, given I did get him out of his run this morning : boy was frustated to not be able to exercise, so I had to let him out to walk for a bit...

But he has an issue : he has GREEN poop! Very, very green - and liquide (of course), since he keep eating wet dog food for now (because he does not want to eat chicken feed anymore)...

WHY is his poop so green?
Is it because he has eaten grass (he did : I saw him yesterday), or do I have to worry about his kidneys...?!

I'm worried.
He does not look bad, and is not suffering... just his poop becoming so green, and I feel I'm doing something bad - I don't know...

I'm even afraid it could be viral or bacterial...!

What do I DO?!!

Here's a picture of Apache's green :

DSC09568.JPG

Just before, in the morning... he had pretty solid, normal light brown droppings...

...I did notice some green today and yesterday, and I was NOT worried then... but now, I feel it is too much green.
Am I mistaken?

...Could
it be normal, given his current diet?
Or do I have to do something...?

DSC09569.JPG

Just in case it could be viral or bacterial, I gave Apache a tiny few drops of water mixed with Apple Cider Vinegar ON his beak, so he would have to drink these drops by himself (I was panicked, so I did not want to risk making him drink by giving him the mix directly in his beak, and maybe make a mistake - wrong path, you know...?)...

I also just put him back in his run,
because it is raining too much to keep him out, and the floor inside of my house is too smooth for him (and so, bother him)...

...And tomorrow, I will think to mix Apple Cider Vinegar with his wet dog food (using a PLASTIC feeder, of course!)... see if it could help him...

But if somedoby think about something... or know if I have to worry so much...?
...Thank you in advance for the help!

Hi!

So... I tried to get back my Facebook account, and Facebook did not send me an email; but whatever for now...

I had Apache confined back in his run the last few days, because of the rain...
It is still raining for now, but I currently have Apache inside of my house - since he is wet, given I did get him out of his run this morning : boy was frustated to not be able to exercise, so I had to let him out to walk for a bit...

But he has an issue : he has GREEN poop! Very, very green - and liquide (of course), since he keep eating wet dog food for now (because he does not want to eat chicken feed anymore)...

WHY is his poop so green?
Is it because he has eaten grass (he did : I saw him yesterday), or do I have to worry about his kidneys...?!

I'm worried.
He does not look bad, and is not suffering... just his poop becoming so green, and I feel I'm doing something bad - I don't know...

I'm even afraid it could be viral or bacterial...!

What do I DO?!!
Yes chickens get greener poop if they eat grass.
Give mainly chick feed, and give other feed as an extra. He will eat the chick feed if he is getting hungry.

You can try to ferment chick feed with mixed grains for chickens. Its easier to digest than chick feed/grains and chickens like to eat it.

There are recipients how to make this work. I think @Perris wrote an article how to make it.
I just started a new batch in a jar with a loose lid. ⅓ chick feed and grains. ⅓ water almost without calcium and a little natural apple cider vinegar to start the fermentation. And put it in a dark corner at room temp.

Strange poop is often because of strange food. Dont worry too much.

Here's a picture of Apache's green :

View attachment 3746022

Just before, in the morning... he had pretty solid, normal light brown droppings...

...I did notice some green today and yesterday, and I was NOT worried then... but now, I feel it is too much green.
Am I mistaken?

...Could
it be normal, given his current diet?
Or do I have to do something...?

View attachment 3746023

Just in case it could be viral or bacterial, I gave Apache a tiny few drops of water mixed with Apple Cider Vinegar ON his beak, so he would have to drink these drops by himself (I was panicked, so I did not want to risk making him drink by giving him the mix directly in his beak, and maybe make a mistake - wrong path, you know...?)...

I also just put him back in his run,
because it is raining too much to keep him out, and the floor inside of my house is too smooth for him (and so, bother him)...

...And tomorrow, I will think to mix Apple Cider Vinegar with his wet dog food (using a PLASTIC feeder, of course!)... see if it could help him...

But if somedoby think about something... or know if I have to worry so much...?
...Thank you in advance for the help!
@Eggcessive
Can you help with the poop and supplements?

Give mainly chick feed, and give other feed as an extra. He will eat the chick feed if he is getting hungry.

I actually keep giving so much wet dog food (and eggs) to Apache because it is what he wants to eat, and since I feel he is much too light for an adult Brahma - especially compared with my other Brahma rooster -, I am afraid to see him lose weight if he stubbornly refuses to eat...

But I am going to trust you : if he does not eat, he probably won't die for just a day.
And I can always give him wet dog food just before putting him to sleep in the evening...?

There are recipients how to make this work. I think @Perris wrote an article how to make it.

I know how to write on the website!
But for the rest... I need time... ah, ah!

I just started a new batch in a jar with a loose lid. ⅓ chick feed and grains. ⅓ water almost without calcium and a little natural apple cider vinegar to start the fermentation. And put it in a dark corner at room temp.

Thank you for the recipe.

I soooooo have to remember to give Apple Cider Vinegar to Apache tomorrow...

I think it is the most important for now. We never know, after all...

Strange poop is often because of strange food. Dont worry too much.

I hope you are right, and I did not have to worry eventually...!!

Hi.

This morning, I remembered to give Apache Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with wet dog food, but really just so he eats, and so ACD can work its magic on him...
(OF COURSE, I used a plastic feeder!)

Now, I am going to shower him; then dry him up with a hair dryer, and keep him warm probably for the next few hours inside of my house - since it is relatively cold outside, and very humid because of all the fog...
(At least, no wind today to bother Apache!)

When fog is dissipated, I will put Apache outside again, and I will give him chick food (crumbs) mixed with water, and maybe even duck/goose pellets...
I hope he will want to eat.

...I'm looking after the boy.
He still has green droppings today, but also normal light brown ones... and if he had a kidneys problem, his droppings would constantly be green... no?

Thank you for the help, and the ideas, and telling me what you can, or know, or just think... ALL help is really appreciated, and I'm grateful.

Apache is feeling better : he is clean and all, and outside is relatively warm thanks to SUNLIGHT!!

I did give him a mix of wheat and duck pellets to eat. (Only after he made me understand he did not want chick crumbs!)

But after thinking for bit, I also finally gave him wet pet food, just to keep him hydrated since he still does not want to drink water...

Certainly thanks to the fact he has been feeling better today - especially since I showered him -, he has decided to stop being too difficult for now, and so, actually HAPPILY ate the wheat and pellets...! (But he normally really LOVES duck pellets, so...)
Thanks God! I really did not want to have to feed Apache so/too much wet pet food for too long, and hurt him somewhat by doing so...!

...The next days should be sufficiently sunny to keep Apache happy and confortable outside, so I am going to force him to make some more exercices : he needs to strenghten himself so he could gain more weight, and walk normally, and hold more of his weight...
(Confining him in his - too small - run for just a few rainy days seem to have been enough to make Apache a bit weaker...? He was sad then, and not moving much...)

If somebody thinks about something to recommend...?
Thank you!

Hi.

Apache was feeling good today, but no real progress for the last days...

It looks like there is less green in his droppings, at least... but I have been mixing Apple Cider Vinegar in a part of his food for two days, so it probably helped...?

No ACV today, because I don't want to give Apache too much vinegar...
No vitamins neither, so he did not have any for the last few days. (I did not want to give him both ACV and vitamins at the same time, so...)

I just gave him wheat and pellets - mixed with Olive Oil - at one side of a double cat bowl, and wet dog food - again : mixed with Olive Oil - at the other side...

But otherwise... yeah : no progress...
So, I am feeling a bit impatient; and it really is because the fact there is no improving anymore is worrying me.

I know I don't have to worry for just a few days... especially since Apache has actually improved so much more and much faster I could have thought possible... but I just cant help it, you know?
I have the feeling that, if I don't do anything, Apache's condition will just worsen again... I may be mistaken, but just in case...

Yeah... just in case, I decided - today - to make a new toy for Apache :

DSC09577.JPG

This beautiful and ugly thing is a wheelchair.
Yes...
APACHE's wheelchair, to be precise...

DSC09578.JPG

I have made it about two/three hours ago, using only some of the lightest metal panels from Omlet I had laying around, and 4 furniture wheels I bought in the past but never had the time to actually use (thanksfully)...

And I know this wheelchair does not particularly look great, and is probably not the best there is...
...I actually could have made it better, but... we do what we can with what we have, right?

DSC09580.JPG

And so, tomorrow, if - per chance - weather channel is lying and there is no rain, Apache will be using this wheelchair to hold his weight, and so to move more easily and WALK - and thus, regain his muscles!

For him to do so, I of course plan to secure him with a dog harness if I can, then hang him - just to hold his weight so he can finally stand high on his legs - with some kind of straps, belt or whatever, I will attach to the panels...

...I just hope Apache will not be too bothered by the ground outside... it is not the most ideal one! Probably especially for these small wheels!
(But if walking outside with the wheelchair is too complicated, I could always let Apache use it inside of my house - just long enough for him to be able to walk again by himself!)

...Boy wants to walk.

He does so when I help him!
But I am pretty sure he would prefer to walk by himself, without ME to physically help him...
...At least, now, he will be able to exercise alone, like a big boy! (But I will keep monitoring him, of course!)

Back
Top Bottom