Eagle Attack??????

newchik715

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Washington
So I forgot to close the coop up one night this week and the next day I noticed two birds missing from the original six. My husband later found large quantities of feathers- more so than molting. I assumed the local eagle carried them away. When I came home from church my husband had a chicken in the kitchen in a box with soaking wet feathers and her back torn open. i thought i was losing another bird but it tunrs out she is one of two that went missing. She came home and hid in the ivy. She has been out in the rain for I don't know how long with open wounds on her back. My husband said he saw her drinking but otherwise she has only moved her head and has not eaten at all. I don't know what to do. I will post pics of her back but I need to know what to do for her. Her breathing seems even but not quite normal. Her crop is bright red her head is untouched. I can not see all of her body but it seems to be the back mostly. HELP!!!

Quote:
If they were taken out of the coop during the night it's highly unlikely it was an eagle. A fox, a bobcat, a coyote... these things would go into a coop, grab a chicken and carry it off. An eagle? Not so much.

You're going to want to wash out the wounds, dress them with a topical ointment, and provide supportive care. Keep her warm, get some nutrition into her -- try feeding wet food, treats and/or put vitamins in her water. And then just wait and see. Since she's been out in the elements with the wounds for some time infection is rather likely, if you're not opposed, a round of antibiotics is probably not a bad idea.

I don't think it happened at night. I do not think they were carried out the coop. I think it happened while I was at school. at any rate whatever it was....i need to wash the wounds...with what, soap and water? how can i dry her after washing the wounds. my husband put a light on her....should i keep that on her or use a blow dryer or just wrap her in warm dry towels? this is our first predator issue so i have no clue what to do. talk like i am an idiot please because i do not want to make things worse for her.

Warm soapy water would be fine. You can gently pat her dry with towels and then blow dry her the rest of the way. A light is fine, just make sure it's not too hot and/or she has the option of moving away from it if she wants. Basically treat this like you would a wound on you; get it clean, apply a topical, keep it clean and provide supportive care for the victim. That's really all you can do. She'll either make it from there, or not.

Thank you so much for the link. Very detailed and helpful. I got vitamins and electrolytes for her water which she is drinking heartily. I will clean her and her wounds soon and will use neosporin. I guess it is all i can reasonably do for her. I think she will pull through. I examined her underside and it seems fine. Lots of missing feathers but mostly superficial wounds i think. I think it is more likely a coon got her and i will never leave the door open again.i hope no more chickens have to die because of my mistake.

So my girl has not been eating at all.....it has been at least two full days since she has eaten. she will take a few steps and support her own weight for 30 seconds or so but otherwise she does not move. she is drinking frequently but otherwise she does nothing but sleep. what do you think?

If she does not start to improve soon and you can take her to the vet, this may speed up her recovery and maybe save her life. Given why this happened, it may also give you some peace of mind. On the other hand, if there are only superficial wounds she should do okay with lots of quiet, TLC, ample fluids, and pain relief.

Electrolytes can help with initial shock (in a pinch can spritz Pedialtye on watermelon or other enticing thing) <----but I see you've now put electrolytes in her water and she's drinking so you've got that covered, Rescue Remedy may help with stress (a drop or two in her water), aspirin can help with pain and therefore the will to eat (do not give if bleeding a lot or if internal injury is suspected but otherwise, can crush one 81mg baby aspirin in a cup of water - fresh batch at least once daily - to get them started I soak cut up grapes and blueberries in the aspirin water and then if I can get them to eat the fruit it starts to take the edge off the pain). Topical neosporin can be very helpful but sometimes infections develop that require oral or injectible antibiotics to beat them back. Wounds can be gently cleaned with 9 parts water, 1 part betadine. No re: regular soap. Keep her really comfy and in a quiet, stress free area, and warm but not hot.

See if she will take some interesting food like black oil sunflower seeds or cooked egg, whatever it takes to get her through....

Has someone scoured the area to make sure the other bird is not out there somewhere, still alive and needing to be rescued?

JJ

we search for the other bird everyday. I still have not given up hope on her.

The one I have recovering appears to have a split beak...upon closer inspection my husband noticed it yesterday and I have to agree with him though she doesn't want me in her face.....what would a split beak mean for her?

Back
Top Bottom