EAR ACHE IN A CHICKEN???

best-nestin'

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
OK- SO MY 3 AND 1/2 MONTH OLD Americana(SP?) CHICK HAD LIMBER NECK YESTERDAY, gave her the poly vi sol and today perfectly normal. She is flapping all around and eating. However, she keep scratching at her head/ear area. Does she have an ear infection? How do I treat that? Will it go away on its own? Do I put her out with my flock ? HELP!!!!

I would separate her and provide a heat lamp in such a way that she warm her head under the lamp or move away. Chickens can indeed get ear infections/blockages/irritations. sometimes from pecking. If you're really lucky the warmth and some extra protein-based foods will give her a boost and time away from others who may peck at her ear. This will also give you time to observe her more closely. Keep giving the vitamins. I'm enclosing a link about vitamin E, selenium and wry neck, etc and also remember this could be an early sign of respiratory trouble and by getting her away from the others you may benefit them, too.
cool.png

Last edited:
OK-Thanks! Also if she had mites or lice- would that cause her it itch and scratch? Could I just cover her in some DE??? Do mites and lice survive in cold weather?? I know that maybe a dumb question- but I am a newbie to this whole chicken thing- and this is kinda scary.

I think you would see evidence of mites or lice. But check her carefully, it will be easier with her separated. Since yu have already observed wry neck, it's more likely connected to that and the vitamins will help mer to fight back. But if you see anything ON her...

Back
Top Bottom