Early and Late Hatching

Normy84

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
I have been away for work so I my wife decided to hatch out some eggs, her first time.

1) She found a broody hen had been sitting on eggs even if they weren't her own, it is day 19 and we have 1 blue egg piped, the broody girl lays white eggs. Has anyone had an egg hatch that early, is it possible the hen incubated it in the coop and that's why it is 3 days early, no other eggs are pipped so thinking it's not a hot spot. Temp was 99.5 the whole incubation period.

2) When gathering she noticed a large blue egg slightly bigger than the EE eggs although one of our girls lays XL size bluish eggs. When I looked at it it is defiantly a duck egg as we have some runners that share the coop. So I moved it to a second incubator we have with a second batch of egg, so looks like we will have a duck hatch a week later. What a great surprise for the kidos.

I have been away for work so I my wife decided to hatch out some eggs, her first time.

1) She found a broody hen had been sitting on eggs even if they weren't her own, it is day 19 and we have 1 blue egg piped, the broody girl lays white eggs. Has anyone had an egg hatch that early, is it possible the hen incubated it in the coop and that's why it is 3 days early, no other eggs are pipped so thinking it's not a hot spot. Temp was 99.5 the whole incubation period.

2) When gathering she noticed a large blue egg slightly bigger than the EE eggs although one of our girls lays XL size bluish eggs. When I looked at it it is defiantly a duck egg as we have some runners that share the coop. So I moved it to a second incubator we have with a second batch of egg, so looks like we will have a duck hatch a week later. What a great surprise for the kidos.
Is the hen setting on the eggs or do you have them in an incubator? They do hatch as early as day 19. Not unusual at all.

Back
Top Bottom