Easiest Plant To Grow

Easiest plant to grow?

• Total voters
I said tomatoes and beans. I always have luck with tomatoes but occasionally have blight to deal with. My beans grow so well and rarely need anything from me but water. But last year at my new house my bean crop was decimated by groundhogs :hitThis year I plan to grow more pole beans so I can put some fencing around the bottom and hopefully keep the groundhogs away.

Others have said lettuce and I also agree that is easy. I like to plant in small rows and do cut-and-return so I always have a supply. Radishes are also very easy!

Beans. Easiest beans: beans for drying-who cares when you pick them…you want them to get dried out.

But, beans are reliable and will produce. In my garden (Ohio, zone 6) I usually need to spray them just as they sprout bc something will eat off the baby leaves and leave the stem. But only some of them. Great production and very drought tolerant. The only beans I did not like were “French” green beans. They seemed to have a 24 hour optimum window of picking. But, most green beans are pretty forgiving.

Tomato: although they grow like weeds, there are some issues with them and they need tending. Not enough calcium, you will get blossom end rot. Squirrels eat them like candy. Too crowded you can have fungal issues so, I clip off about 1 foot of the lowest branches to increase airflow. Too much water (hose or rain supplied) and they will split. Too many tomatoes, the branch will fall and likely break… oh, and there’s the joy of finding your first tomato hornworm. After you scream in shock at the huge size, you might be brave enough to pluck it off and toss to your chickens. Bug hating frenemy? Well, that just might be a worthwhile joke on them.

Potatoes: yes, I’d say these are pretty easy. Unless you have the Colorado Potato Beetle. Then you’ll be cursing them, and checking daily for the stinkers and their eggs-which are thankfully bright yellow.

Carrots: they can be a bit temperamental. Hate any drying out. Hard /tedious to thin. We grow them quite successfully, but I don’t consider them easy.
Lettuce: I don’t do much with this bc when I have grown it, bugs eat it, it bolts easily, if a heavy rain comes they are converted no dirt. This is an easy thing to buy at the store, and it dies t take up garden room.

Cucumber…well, that is ONE veg that is my most difficult. My old guy neighbor grows them no issue. Me, 100 feet away from his and I have wilt, poor production, an abundance of cucumber beetle…so cucumbers are not easy for me.

Squash. Which kind? Well, it really matters that you know which group they are in. You may be interested in C. pepo , C.maxima, or C. moschata. There are a few other groups, but the 3 are the main ones gardeners grow. They do not cross pollinate between groups, so if saving seeds, that is important. But, pests can vary among them. I don’t think these are easiest to grow, but worth growing. They are heavy feeders though, so compost is a good thing for these.

Kale is one of the easiest greens to grow during cool weather, and potentially over winter with protection. Big seeds, easy to plant, easy to save seed too. Jerusalem Artichokes are an easy perennial root crop that's great for chickens too-just plant a few bulbs and you'll have a patch of it in no time. It provides good cover for the chickens too.

Beans are fairly simple, and very productive. Good source of nutrients, too.

I fail at beets, no matter where I live. My mom grew gorgeous roots.

Back
Top Bottom