Easiest way to raise chicks

As others noted, # of birds plays a huge part in this. I've never raised more than 4 chicks at a time. Though I suppose my idea could be scaled up with a movable tractor as a brooder.

My brooder sits out in the run and I use a MHP. The bedding is whatever happens to be on the run floor, plus for the first week or two I add wood shavings for extra cushion & dryness.

I inadvertently found out that my set up requires zero cleanup - rather than clean out the brooder, I simply move it around the run every few days/week, as needed. The hens will scratch up the previous spot it was sitting on while searching for chick feed and clear up any poop.
what is your brooder made out of? do you have a pic?

The sweeter heater somebody recommended is really neat, we just looked it up. Thank you so so much everybody for your responses and time. We really appreciate them and all your time, and think we will age a very successful chick year now. Thanks again.

If you're looking for an easy solution for a small scale setup that doesn't break the bank I have been extremely happy with my 50 gallon Rubbermaid setup!

This is the one I use.
View attachment 1989217

Heat plates are the way to go in my opinion! They're more natural to the chicks, they won't make a peep at night when they're sleeping because there's no light on to keep them awake, and most importantly, they aren't a fire hazard like heat lamps. Glad Press 'n Seal plastic wrap can be placed on top of the heat plate for easy cleanup. Just peel the old sheet off and replace it when necessary. Must be press n' seal, the regular plastic wrap will not stick.

Titan 12"x12" heat plate shown with Glad Press 'n Seal wrap on top.
View attachment 1989231

Heat plate tip: If you get a heat plate with several tiny height adjustments like shown I always set my heat plate on a slight angle so that the chicks can choose whether they want more or less heat under it. For example, the back is low enough that the chicks can lay down and still be close to the heat plate or come in contact with it when standing, but the front has a bit more room. This is also great when raising chicks of different sizes. PS, the plate is hot to the touch but it is a safe temperature for the chicks to touch the plate, see images below.
View attachment 1989243 View attachment 1989244

I use Equine Pine Pellets in the brooder instead of pine shavings and there is far less dust created from them and they reduce the smell. This is far from necessary but I have found this makes clean up a breeze in the brooder! I first place puppy wee pads down before spreading pine pellets. That way I can fold the pad up, throw it away, and replace it when it's time to clean the brooder. So easy!

View attachment 1989238
I have been using this set up all year and it worked perfectly for several hatches, chicks, turkey poults, goslings, and peachicks (quail I started on wee pads only because they're so tiny!). I greatly preferred it to any method I've tried in the past. At around 3 weeks you will need to place a wire top over the brooder so that the chicks don't fly out. This is typically when I move mine to my outdoor set up.
I know this is an older thread...but we have chicks now, 4 chicken chicks, and 2 turkey chicks, we are about to get a peachick too. We use sand in the big chicken barn, and the pellet bedding in the horse barn. The pellet bedding is a great idea for the chicks, but do they try to eat it? And do you leave it compressed or wet it like we do for the horses?

I know this is an older thread...but we have chicks now, 4 chicken chicks, and 2 turkey chicks, we are about to get a peachick too. We use sand in the big chicken barn, and the pellet bedding in the horse barn. The pellet bedding is a great idea for the chicks, but do they try to eat it? And do you leave it compressed or wet it like we do for the horses?

I leave it compressed and it starts to come apart over time as they scratch it and try to dust bathe in it, lol. I have seem them sampling it but no more than they do with the pine shavings and there's less chance of impacting because it breaks down so tiny. I've raised over 100 chicks on it without issues even when they eat it, it passes through without issue. I feel it's very safe.

Back
Top Bottom