East RIver - South Dakota

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by SouthDakotan, Mar 26, 2012.

1. lauriemae15

lauriemae15 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    South Dakota
    We may put up a tarp on the side of the run to block some of that awful north wind, but not much else we can do for freezing rain. The chickens will either stay in their coop or huddle underneath it. The ducks don't seem to care one way or the other!

2. Fancy Feathers

Fancy Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Chores were so much fun today. Slipping and sliding on the ice.. &, it didn't seem that cold out today, but the outside faucet never dethawed! So waterers had to be taken in the house and defrosted and filled from the laundry room sink. I finally got another egg from my Buff Barred girls.. and it was the only egg in the barn frozen today - and they have a heat lamp in their pen! Ugh. ... I am So ready for Spring.
    At least it wasn't windy though, gotta be grateful for that.

How's everyone else faring?

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

It will be muddy [​IMG] before we know it. Our hydrant never freezes so thankfully I haven't had to deal with that. I do have one hen, not sure whom yet...that decides to lay eggs while roosting so over night they almost always freeze but none laid during the day freeze. I am a stay at home mom so I have the luxury of checking on the animals 3 times a day. Things are picking up... my one hen went from an egg every 3 days to laying every day so hopefully she keeps going and the other follow suit.

Does anyone on here garden?? I need some advice as this will be my 2nd year if the weather cooperates. Last year was the first but since there was no rain the chikens got to eat most of it! I just hear about warm and cool season crops but is that for different climate than ours or should I really be able to get two different vegetables from the same plot in the same year? Seems impossible!

4. Fancy Feathers

May 4, 2012
    Heat wave today! Whoo ho! [​IMG]

(Don't garden, can't help ya there)

5. SD Bird Lady

I know it is beautiful....In Los Angeles they were busting out the parkas at 55 haha. Today was my original ship date for some chicks but they weren't available so now they will have to brave nest week's frigid temps....hope they make it [​IMG]

6. Fancy Feathers

May 4, 2012
    What are you getting? [​IMG]

Oh, if anyone's interested in Bantam Cochins I'm hatching every week.
    I also could part with some adult Silkies or Orps.

Bird Lady maybe ask your gardening question on the original South Dakota thread? Not sure why we had to separate into East & West River... (What about the people who live in Ft Thompson or Chamberlain? [​IMG])

7. SD Bird Lady

3 cayuga ducks....3 EE's and 3 Light Brahmas and I am sure a dozen or so packing peanuts given the weather. I might try that, I used to live in Pickstown growing up so I was a mile from west river so I suppose I should be neutral lol. Why must you torture me, why does no one tell you about chicken math when you get your first birds??? I am still just using hatchery stock. I like a little flair with my utility but mostly just utility and entertainment....I am still getting the kinks out. If I could afford an automatic door I think I would be set but for now I just have to cross my fingers sometimes when we are out late or gone so as mean as it sound cheap birds are easier to donate to the wild life [​IMG]

8. Fancy Feathers

May 4, 2012
    Oh yeah I haven't lost any chickens yet to preditors.. but I credit my good dog Bori with that more then anything. The Orps and Swedish ducks share a house - I never close their door at night and right now the ice has the gate to their pen kind of stuck open! I haven't been able to close it tightly in a long while. They're kind of vulnerable I guess, but Bori keeps them safe.

9. Fancy Feathers

May 4, 2012
    So long, heat wave. You will be missed!

10. SD Bird Lady

Me too....we were in mitchell and they atleast got snow it is just brown and freeing here :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by