East RIver - South Dakota

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by SouthDakotan, Mar 26, 2012.

1. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Got my chicks this morning. All are doing well only one packing peanut DOA and 2 sickly chicks but they are perking up pretty good. I am pleasantly surprised given the horribly cold weather we have been having.

2. Fancy Feathers

Fancy Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Yay new chickies [​IMG]
    Today was a good day to get them, it's warm compared to what it's been recently!

3. gypsyschixs95

gypsyschixs95 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    South Dakota
    I just posted the water that my DH made. Its under coop designs "Perfect water for cold weather." Please check it out and give my some feedback. It has worked all winter with out a hitch, and he recently attached it to my chick brooder too!

PS that brooder is for my BLR wyandotte chicks if anyone is interested.

4. SD Bird Lady

Look like a nnice set-up. Some detailed info would be good incase anyone wants to replicate it.

5. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

ATTENTION SOUTH DAKOTA POULTRY FANCIERS ASSOCIATION MEMBERS or anyone interested in joining: I will be working on the spring newsletter this week. If you have any info to ad, articles or want to place a classified ad, (free for members) email me at [email protected] ALSO there is a Poultry Testing Agent Training class on Wed, April 10 in Huron

6. gypsyschixs95

gypsyschixs95 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    South Dakota
    I am looking for information on how to ship some chicks to Seattle, to my sister. Does anybody have experience with NPIP certification in SD? She wants some of my BLR Wyandottes. Does that class, in Huron, help with that?

7. spartman

spartman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    NE South Dakota
    Since the snow is dying, Ive got the chicken bug again.

Does anyone here have or know of anyone who would have some eggs or chick/chickens to sell in the following breeds:

Iowa Blue
    Salmon Faverolle
    Polish
    Red Cochin Bantam
    D'Uccles
    Silkies

Im in the Watertown area, but am willing to travel to get them if someone has some.

Thanks!!!

Even leads are a help

8. SD Bird Lady

I believe fancy feathers has silkie & cochin but I am unsure of colors and what they have , if anything, for sale.

9. Fancy Feathers

Fancy Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Ken Splett in Freeman has Salmon Faverolles and Silkies, PM me for his #. I have Silkies and Cochins but not Red, but I can give you the name of a lady who sells hatching eggs, she has very nice stock. Will be shipped though, she's in Maine.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  10. justjen

justjen New Egg

Apr 8, 2013
    Hello East-River SD peeps! :eek:)

I'm new to the backyard chicken game. My family and I are trying to move forward with establishing our own backyard flock ... however, we are unsure about chicks. We had planned to buy chicks from a local feed store, however, nearly all are straight run. Our city has an ordinance that prohibits roosters - so I'm not sure what to do if we get a roo (or more). Any advice?

About how old must they be before you can start to tell if they are male? I have a few books that I own and have read, but nothing really discusses this particular issue. I peeked through a few forums on here and found a couple that suggested selling them on Craigslist - is that a reliable option? It seems like it has the potential to be hit or miss. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by