Easter Egg / EE chick characteristics?

Quote:
I believe you are right. If the sources I researched through earlier are correct, the Ameraucana breed is the 'root' stock for itself, Araucanas and EE's. They will all share genes from the Ameraucana - which will yield some variation of blue egg, depending on who the other parent is. (And if I'm wrong here, please forgive me !!! I don't mean to offend breeders of Araucanas or Ameraucanas if the information I read - and shared here - is incorrect.)

This thread was about physical characteristics that all EE's might have in common, though.
Anne shared in an earlier post in this thread that there aren't any
sad.png
So I believe that recognizing EE's is either through knowing who the parents are - and in my case I don't since I picked up my babies from a feed supply store, who got them from a hatchery - or through someone who is knowledgeable about the breed identifying them. And that is why I will be posting pictures of mine - hopefully a little later tonight. (And hopefully having their pix identified will help others down road identify their own
wink.png

Quote:
That is exactly correct.

-Easter Eggers may have any plumage color or pattern
-Easter Eggers often have pea combs, but may also come with single combs or any other comb type
-Easter Eggers often lay a green or blue-ish egg, but may also lay brown, tan, or any other egg color
-The majority usually have beards/muffs, but quite a few do not
-A common leg color is green, but you may also get gray, pink, yellow, or any other leg color
-They are usually of medium size, but can be small or large, and they also come in a bantam form

In other words, an Easter Egger can be just about anything. I guess you could say that in a way, it's their lack of standardization that defines them.

I hope this helps!

-Anne

This truly is an excellent post. Absolutely spot on.

Quote:
The blue egg gene is dominant. The problem with using with using THIS definition is due to this very reason- there are EE brown/tan/"pink" egg layers but those do not have the blue egg gene- it's exactly the reason they lay eggs in those colors(brown/tan/pink).

If the definition includes something like "has mixed ancestry" then it would be a good one.

Quote:
This thread was about physical characteristics that all EE's might have in common, though.
Anne shared in an earlier post in this thread that there aren't any
sad.png
So I believe that recognizing EE's is either through knowing who the parents are - and in my case I don't since I picked up my babies from a feed supply store, who got them from a hatchery - or through someone who is knowledgeable about the breed identifying them. And that is why I will be posting pictures of mine - hopefully a little later tonight. (And hopefully having their pix identified will help others down road identify their own
wink.png

It's an extremely safe bet to assume that any "A/A/EE" from a hatchery in reality match the definition of an EE even if their catalog uses one of the A names. Kind of "presumed EE until proven otherwise".

Due to literally unlimited possibilites for colors and patterns in EE, it would be more practical to go to the Ameraucana club site and look at pictures of their birds and if the bird doesn't match any of theirs, then it's an EE. Also an easy one is to check the leg color- if it's any color other than slate, then it's an EE practically by automatic default.

mine is super smart! she reminds me of those velocaraptors on Jurassic Park how she calulates how to do stuff like get over the fence :mad:

Back
Top Bottom