Easter Egg hen /roo = NO CLUE

Quote:
He is a beautiful bird, no doubt about it and it's good to hear your opinion as we haven't much experience with chickens since these are our first ones. We live on a farm with horses and dogs so I'm not anticipating having to get rid of him however we don't know what we should do as far as getting more hens. These three are 2 months old so how do we introduce more hens that are potentially younger? The local feed store doesn't have any more chicks now as they are a Spring item every year. He's very protective of his two girls and rounds them up and makes them go where he wants. Will he be aggressive towards any predators? I guess that squirrel found out when he chased him back into the woods right? This changes everything that's for sure.

BTW, every night they sit the same way, in order on the roost, in the same spot. Is this common?

100767_097.jpg

I would say yes it is common for them to each have their own spot we have ones that have their own spot and no one tries to crouch on it

Yes, it's common for them to sleep in the same order every night. It's cute how your girls both want to cuddle up to your boy.
smile.png

You can often find older chicks on Craigslist. Just make sure you quarantine them for a while. Or get new chicks from a hatchery, MyPetChicken will mail just a few, and just watch them closely the first few days. I have a few 2yo hens mixed with my 4 month old chicks. The older hens were pretty mean at first, but no one ever got hurt. The younger ones just give them a wide berth, and let them eat first.

Since you have determined that he is a rooster are we to expect him to crow every morning? Nothing out of him today. Is it always at sunrise and for how long do they crow in the morning or is it just whenever they feel like it?

I have been scouring the EE threads, and the one that talks about coloring..would scream yours is a roo, due to the rust coloring in his shoulder/wing area...

He is pretty!

Quote:
Roosters will crow whenever they feel like it. Mine crow more in the morning, with occasional crows all day long.

As if on cue he is crowing now. Loud but not overpowering but I'm sure that will change too.

My only roo right now is a 4mo old bantam and he crows at least once an hour. He crows every few minutes from about 6-7AM, then slows down gradually over the morning, then he crows a lot in the evening. He's not very loud, though. And he's so tiny, I find him hilarious! I think my large fowl roosters had less obnoxious crows, though. My bantam is very squeaky (and cute!) I think some crow more than others, but I don't know if that's a breed or personality thing. Once he starts, he'll probably annoy you for a few days until you get used to it.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom