Easter Egger Assault

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
No not on the bird.

So, long ago(ok maybe November) some of you might recall me posting about my psycho dive bombing easter Eggers. They moved to the coop in good time and have been decent birds.

They lay beautiful little blue eggs now and aren't dominant jerks at all. Really turned around nicely.

There is a full size door to their run right now. I learned quickly for the safety of the chickens not to fling said door open if any chickens are up on their high roost board as winged pile ups could result.

There are 2 latches on that door. Hook and eye at the bottom plus a locking screen door latch. Redundancy in predator prevention is great.

This morning I checked, confirmed presence of birds up high, leaned over to unhook that bottom lock.

Cut to..... just a few seconds later I believe. I'm not certain where the intervening seconds went. But I was next aware of being on the floor leaning on the door I'd planned to open. With an Easter egger walking away shaking her head.

She dive bombed me! Yup having an Easter egger slam into the side of your face isn't fun. Bent a hinge on my glasses and my temple and eye brow are black and blue.

The moral of the story might be to trust your first instincts. She's psycho. Don't think it's only the roosters you can't turn your back on!

The word is "flighty" but psycho also fits the bill. Some chickens just have excitable natures, and your EE is trying to teach you that you need to be veeeery slow and precise in case she's within striking distance.

Usually, it's young cockerels that react dangerously to sudden motion, but just about any chicken will panic into flight at a sudden unexpected movement.

You might try next time, "Hey you guys, don't panic, it's just the maid!"

The word is "flighty" but psycho also fits the bill. Some chickens just have excitable natures, and your EE is trying to teach you that you need to be veeeery slow and precise in case she's within striking distance.

Usually, it's young cockerels that react dangerously to sudden motion, but just about any chicken will panic into flight at a sudden unexpected movement.

You might try next time, "Hey you guys, don't panic, it's just the maid!"
She's a funny bird for sure. I had already walked through their coop cleaning and feeding so you wouldn't think she'd have startled. Just excited to go out maybe. I've already seen those two fly out that door and crash into the fence so I always just open it a crack to make them go out on foot. Maybe I'll have to catch that one and hold her until the doors open! Ridiculous but she's really flighty/ psycho. Largely she's much better. Not a cuddler type but calm enough. Trigger still gets tripped obviously!

I'm very shocked. I have never been dive bombed by a hen! I have not had EE's before now and so far (10) weeks they seem normal, just another chicken in the flock. They do have that sort of "hawk like" look to them, don't you think? You are frightening me now. . . Easter Egger looks like a hawk small.jpg
:gig

I'm very shocked. I have never been dive bombed by a hen! I have not had EE's before now and so far (10) weeks they seem normal, just another chicken in the flock. They do have that sort of "hawk like" look to them, don't you think? You are frightening me now. . . View attachment 1331668
:gig
Haha don't panic, everyone adores their EE. I like mine too, they are just a bit different. They aren't out there always, just sometimes.

Yeah, you can just see the evil intent in those beady little eyes.

She looks identical to an EE I have named Wheezer. Only Wheezer is a lap muffin. Her only acts of aggression involve shoving her way to the front of the hoard to nab treats first.

Back
Top Bottom