Easter egger him or her?

Ajp23

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 3, 2023
Hi! This is my first post after following the site for a while šŸ˜ we have a new flock of backyard chickens and all is well. We most recently got five Easter Egger chicks and Iā€™m highly suspicious that ā€œHuskyā€ is a rooster. He/she is five weeks old today and has a very pronounced comb to my novice eye. Husky has a more dominant personality compared to the others as well. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_5294.jpeg
    IMG_5294.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5299.jpeg
    IMG_5299.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5296.jpeg
    IMG_5296.jpeg
    366.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5298.jpeg
    IMG_5298.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5286.jpeg
    IMG_5286.jpeg
    631.6 KB · Views: 15
We most recently got five Easter Egger chicks and Iā€™m highly suspicious that ā€œHuskyā€ is a rooster. He/she is five weeks old today and has a very pronounced comb to my novice eye.
I agree. Husky looks male to me, too.

Thank you. I am new to this so forgive me butā€¦what do people typically do with an unwanted rooster? Can they be rehomed like another pet might be? šŸ˜¬

Thank you. I am new to this so forgive me butā€¦what do people typically do with an unwanted rooster? Can they be rehomed like another pet might be? šŸ˜¬
Yes, a rooster can sometimes be rehomed.

But since half of all chickens are males, not every male will find a good home to live a long life. At any given point, there will usually be just a few people in any given area who want a rooster as a long-term addition to their flock.

Some people eat their unwanted males. Some people give or sell the unwanted males to people who do want to eat them.

(Personally, I'd rather eat the bird myself than give it away to someone else to eat, because I like to eat chicken! But I know that not everyone is comfortable eating a chicken they knew personally. And your cockerel might get lucky, and be one of the ones that finds a new home where he can live a long healthy life with a flock of hens.)

Thanks for the help. Never thought Iā€™d be posting a (probable) rooster on Craigā€™s list but here we are!

Thanks for the help. Never thought Iā€™d be posting a (probable) rooster on Craigā€™s list but here we are!
I found homes for my roos on there. They are in great hands now. You never know, you may end up getting lucky with a person who just takes in unwanted farm animals like I did. šŸ¤ž

Back
Top Bottom