Easter Egger reddish 3 weeks

IvyBeans

Songster
May 22, 2023
Seattle suburbs
My chicks are a bit over 3 weeks old, one is getting a wider comb than her sister and is having red patches show up on her shoulders, but she also has salmon colored chest feathers and some wing feathers are gray.
With the splotchy pattern, is this chick most likely a cockerel or do some pullets start splotchy and even out? Neither Easter egger feathered out as quickly as the orpingtons, but the dark black/brown feathering one does have more tail feathers.

Both Easter eggers have fairly thick legs, but the one I’m worried about is just a bigger chick. Also the most dominant, but in a flighty way not bold.

Attachments

• IMG_3389.jpeg
    IMG_3389.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3329.jpeg
    IMG_3329.jpeg
    804.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3386.jpeg
    IMG_3386.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3353.jpeg
    IMG_3353.jpeg
    480.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3337.jpeg
    IMG_3337.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 87
The red feathers are suspicious, but I'd give it a chance to feather out before judging. The pattern may make more sense for a pullet later on.
Thanks! I’m also concerned about how much wider her comb is than her sisters when she’s also less feathered.

They’re supposed to be sexed pullets so fingers crossed!

Do you have an updated picture? Wondering if the red leakage got any bigger.
I’m 99 percent sure he’s a cockerel and I low key hate this chicken. He’s such a drama king. Even if he was a pullet, I’m not sure I’d want to keep it. He’s so flighty and gets nervous poops constantly any time we try and interact with the chicks. He flies out of the brooder and acts like we’re trying to murder him.

I’m trying to wait until he’s more feathered out before I try and rehome him. I don’t care if he goes in someone’s soup pot.

They’re all 5 weeks old now and the other 4 are so sweet, the other Easter egger doesn’t like to be held like the Orpingtons, but she’s chill and I think she’ll keep warming up.

Attachments

• IMG_3774.jpeg
    IMG_3774.jpeg
    778.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3747.jpeg
    IMG_3747.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3749.jpeg
    IMG_3749.jpeg
    376 KB · Views: 68
Definitely a cockerel. Had one like him “Juanita” he died on us I was a little sad. But relieved not to have to worry about him. Super flighty and would take off like a road runner! Never wanted to go into the brooder after being let out side (it was winter) and would squawk like we were trying to kill him if we held him. Once ran under our deck and refused to come out. Hope you’re able to rehome him.

I’m just grateful that he was obvious early. My kids stopped trying to bond pretty early and that he’s not nice so I’m not that sad. I felt like everyone else said their nicest chick was the cockerel.

Would anyone even want a cockerel this young? When is normal to rehome?

Also, he still has such a stubby little tail at 5 weeks. The other Easter egger got her tail slower than the Orpingtons, but way outpaced him.

I’m just grateful that he was obvious early. My kids stopped trying to bond pretty early and that he’s not nice so I’m not that sad. I felt like everyone else said their nicest chick was the cockerel.

Would anyone even want a cockerel this young? When is normal to rehome?

Also, he still has such a stubby little tail at 5 weeks. The other Easter egger got her tail slower than the Orpingtons, but way outpaced him.
Maybe to eat? Some do take them to just add to a flock or breed even if they are mutts. The ones I rehomed went to a nice older farmer. He just had land and took in whatever animals people didn’t want. My nicest chicken so far is a pullet named pizza. She’s the runt of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom