Easter Egger Sex-Links?

A punnett square is a way to show what happens with a particular gene when you cross two animals (or plants or people.)

Some people find it helpful to look at a diagram, instead of reading a bunch of words, so a punnett square is very useful for them.

If you want to read more about how a punnett square is used, here is a page that explains it in a way that seems clear to me:
https://www2.palomar.edu/anthro/mendel/mendel_2.htm

I find that punnett squares are easy to use now that I understand them, but I get badly tangled up if I try to explain them :) Oh, and I don't use them for more than one trait at a time. That still confuses me too much.

They're named after Reginald Punnett, who came up with the idea.
Thank you @NatJ! :highfive: .

Oh no, I'm so sorry guys. Have I misidentified these roos? I took a quick look at it once and I made assumptions... I think I was wrong.
The green arrow is what I assumed to be a Cuckoo Maran.
The blue is what I assumed was a Copper Maran.
The red is what I thought was an Easter Egger...
Was I wrong or right on these? Again I apologize if I was wrong, I am so bad. :barnie😂

Inkedsignal-2021-10-25-134758_LI.jpg

signal-2021-10-25-134758-1.jpg

signal-2021-10-25-134758-2.jpg

I would say you are right on the cuckoo maran (single come and pinkish white legs). The EE could be the one with the modified pea comb but it's hard to tell in the photo if the one with the red arrow actually has a single comb...

Have I misidentified these roos?

I don't know about breeds.

But for sex linking purposes:

--The barred one can probably produce autosexing chicks with your barred hens (although some groups of barred chicks are easy to sex, and some are hard, and I cannot predict which kind you would get.)

--Any of the others could produce sexlinks with your barred hens. The ones that have blue would produce about half black chicks and half blue chicks, but the sex linkage still works fine. (The headspot is sometimes harder to see on blue chicks, depending on what shade of blue, but you will also see the barring in the feathers as they grow, so you should be sure of their gender at a pretty early age.)

--For the two in individual pictures, the legs appear to be light colored, which means they cannot father sexlinks using skin color/leg color.

If you want easy sexing of chicks in this generation, I would go with any rooster except the barred one. But his daughters will not be suitable for producing sexlinks themselves, so it you want a long-term breeding project that always produces color-sexable chicks, you should choose the barred rooster. Then make sure to eat any chicks that are confusing in their coloring, and you will select over time for the ones that ARE easy to sex by color.

I would say you are right on the cuckoo maran (single come and pinkish white legs). The EE could be the one with the modified pea comb but it's hard to tell in the photo if the one with the red arrow actually has a single comb...
The one with the red arrow is also pictured alone in the 3rd photo. :) Sorry, I should've made that clear.

I don't know about breeds.

But for sex linking purposes:

--The barred one can probably produce autosexing chicks with your barred hens (although some groups of barred chicks are easy to sex, and some are hard, and I cannot predict which kind you would get.)

--Any of the others could produce sexlinks with your barred hens. The ones that have blue would produce about half black chicks and half blue chicks, but the sex linkage still works fine. (The headspot is sometimes harder to see on blue chicks, depending on what shade of blue, but you will also see the barring in the feathers as they grow, so you should be sure of their gender at a pretty early age.)

--For the two in individual pictures, the legs appear to be light colored, which means they cannot father sexlinks using skin color/leg color.

If you want easy sexing of chicks in this generation, I would go with any rooster except the barred one. But his daughters will not be suitable for producing sexlinks themselves, so it you want a long-term breeding project that always produces color-sexable chicks, you should choose the barred rooster. Then make sure to eat any chicks that are confusing in their coloring, and you will select over time for the ones that ARE easy to sex by color.
Thanks so much, you're very knowledgeable!
I don't have much room (at least not yet) for a lot more chickens, I want to *try* selling chicks, and be able to eat the roosters that don't get sold. (Assuming that at some point the hens will get sold.) So I may or may not be having a long term breeding project. I'm still not sure which rooster to pick yet. XD
But just out of curiosity, why won't the daughters be suitable if I chose a non-barred roo? Does that go for all of them or just some of the girls?

Thanks so much, you're very knowledgeable!
I don't have much room (at least not yet) for a lot more chickens, I want to *try* selling chicks, and be able to eat the roosters that don't get sold. (Assuming that at some point the hens will get sold.) So I may or may not be having a long term breeding project. I'm still not sure which rooster to pick yet. XD
But just out of curiosity, why won't the daughters be suitable if I chose a non-barred roo? Does that go for all of them or just some of the girls?
Because. They will be sexlink already. Sexlinks can't produce more sexlinks.

Because. They will be sexlink already. Sexlinks can't produce more sexlinks.
Well, they can't produce more of the same type of sexlink. But if say, the black sexlink daughters were silver based they could then be bred to a gold based rooster and produce gold/silver sex links.

Or say if you cross a gold/silver sexlinked rooster that does not carry barring x barred hen you could create black sex links, even though the father is technically a sexlink too.

Back
Top Bottom