Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

~~Thanks - ;)

No biggie - kind of cool, actually.. (I'm bummed though, we can't keep roos here) At least he was the one that the kids were the LEAST attached to! It's funny how soon we started suspecting -- Bootsie (maybe to be called Butch now?) is standoffish and has the raspiest voice of all of them.

Also Bootsie has been pretty aggressive with everyone and also really watchful of the others -- Goes crazy when they aren't all within reach. Does a lot of running around flapping and fluffing feathers, chest bumping and hopping on the others and pecking too.

Also likes to be roosted higher than anyone (standing on the feeder in the brooder) and won't be held if he can help it. Bootsie's gait is different looking too somehow -- sort of a loping swagger when walking -- just didn't look chicken-ish somehow.

Thanks again - can't wait to hear the first cock-a-doodle! :)

Here is taco! s/he is 7 weeks old today. I was hoping if someone can tell me if it is a cockerel or not. I saw it doing the pecking order type ritual with my other for sure cockerel, but I don't know if that should mean it is a cockerel for sure. Someone want to tell me what you think?

Thank you Wishing4Wings! I have one more question if you don't mind. Can the pullets have 3 rows of peas? My son is also looking at their spurs and the other 5 seems to be smaller than this one..but this is our largest chick. We have 3 EE and 3 gold stars..all from a hatchery.

Last edited:
Here is taco! s/he is 7 weeks old today. I was hoping if someone can tell me if it is a cockerel or not. I saw it doing the pecking order type ritual with my other for sure cockerel, but I don't know if that should mean it is a cockerel for sure. Someone want to tell me what you think?

Looks like a roo to me.

Thank you Wishing4Wings! I have one more question if you don't mind. Can the pullets have 3 rows of peas? My son is also looking at their spurs and the other 5 seems to be smaller than this one..but this is our largest chick. We have 3 EE and 3 gold stars..all from a hatchery.

Yes, pullets can have 3 rows, though it's much more commonly seen in roosters :)

Yes, pullets can have 3 rows (which is why I very cleverly said your chick is probably a cockerel
big_smile.png
), but the outside rows are usually smaller than the center row on pullets. Hatchery EEs are a bit more consistent than homemade EEs, so I was also considering what you said about that chick having a larger comb than the others. It is a large comb for a chick that age, but I have seen a few on here looking like that which turned out to be pullets.

Hope you can post an update in a week or so. That chick is a pretty color and I'd love to see how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom