Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Yeah the comb has me slightly concerned. I'll try and get a better picture of the comb. The dumb chick is so hard to photograph! It's supposed to be a "blue-red americauna" according to the breeder I got it from. It was just an extra with an order of other breeds I had placed. I'm sure it's just an EE so no matter there but since it's supposed to be blue-red I'm not sure what to expect from it as far as pullet vs cockerel coloring. All the feathers so far are perfectly rounded and the breeder claims to be able to feather sex his blue-reds fairly well and says this should be a pullet. Lol. I'm not putting much stock in his feather sexing at all though. I've had too many EEs to fall for that.
1f609.png
the color on the breast is throwing me too because I thought usually salmon on the breast was a pullet thing.
The pointed feathers don't usually show until later (maybe 10 weeks or so), so even a cockerel will have rounded feathers at 6 weeks. There is no "blue-red" in the Ameraucana standard, so it must be a project color, which a lot of people consider EEs until they are accepted. I'm not sure what blue-red is supposed to look like, but maybe the breeder can confirm the sex of your chick by the coloring to date. Sounds like you are hoping for a pullet, so fingers crossed for you! No matter what, it's a pretty looking bird and I'd love to see some more pictures when it gets older.

I am reading the thread regarding btinks chick and you all have me curious about the colors of my rooster, rocket, would you consider him "blue/red", I'm not really even sure what that means. But would be interested to know how these EE are color classified.
I am far from an expert on colors. When people are trying to create new varieties (colors) they can get kind of creative with the names too, so you never know!
big_smile.png
Rocket certainly has a blue base color and red on the wings, but don't know if there is an official name for this. The closest thing in the standard is Blue Wheaten, but Rocket looks more like a Blue with red leakage. Check out http://www.ameraucana.org/ and look at the breed pictures.

Phew...really hoping they are girls! Here us a closer shot of "Chirpy" I am new at this. But I think the other two have pea combs.
"

Chirpy looks a lot like my olive egger, BCM over EE, interested to see what kind of eggs you will get. And they do all look like pullets.

Phew...really hoping they are girls! Here us a closer shot of "Chirpy" I am new at this. But I think the other two have pea combs.
"
Pretty! I'm particularly fond of this coloring. She may not lay blue/green eggs, but she will give you eggs!

The combs on all 3 birds are small and relatively pale. A cockerel by 12 weeks is usually obvious by a larger dark red comb. The first two pictured have pullet coloring. The last one (Cochin cross?) made me look twice because of the tail, but I don't see any true saddle feathers coming in and the comb has not developed much at all. Could be a very late bloomer, but I'm betting it's a pullet despite the curving tail feathers.

Girls or boys? These three Easter Eggers are three month old.

They look Girlish to me, but I've never seen an EE like #3. The tail may be curving down. However, if it were a roo, I think you'd be seeing (or hearing) more male traits by 12+ weeks. I'll lean toward pullet for that one too.

The pointed feathers don't usually show until later (maybe 10 weeks or so), so even a cockerel will have rounded feathers at 6 weeks.  There is no "blue-red" in the Ameraucana standard, so it must be a project color, which a lot of people consider EEs until they are accepted.  I'm not sure what blue-red is supposed to look like, but maybe the breeder can confirm the sex of your chick by the coloring to date.  Sounds like you are hoping for a pullet, so fingers crossed for you!  No matter what, it's a pretty looking bird and I'd love to see some more pictures when it gets older. 

I am far from an expert on colors.  When people are trying to create new varieties (colors) they can get kind of creative with the names too, so you never know!  :D   Rocket certainly has a blue base color and red on the wings, but don't know if there is an official name for this.  The closest thing in the standard is Blue Wheaten, but Rocket looks more like a Blue with red leakage.  Check out http://www.ameraucana.org/ and look at the breed pictures.
I will check the site out, thanks you :)

Back
Top Bottom