Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I'm going to guess cockerel. That's a bit of comb for 3 week pullet and legs look big!
However it IS pretty early to be very certain, Our last batch of EE's we hatched I was certain 2 were cockerels especially when their big wide combs got red at 18 weeks...3 days later we got 2 green eggs!! LOL
Scandalous birds!!

WHy wait a few more weeks? Post pictures every week so we can see how she/ he changes !! :)
I will, I know you always run a chance of getting a cockerel when you pick 1/50 out of a Pullet bin at the feed store!!! It's a super friendly chick so I'm hoping for a Pullet so I can keep it. I appreciate everyone's opinion.

I'm no expert, but I was sold six EE pullets and two turned out to be boys (my pictures/posts are many, many pages back now). The more studly of the boys started getting black-and-white coloring after starting out more brown then the rest, though my red roo was the blondest of the bunch. I have read here that the roos tend towards that black-and-white coloring (with other colors mixed in) while the girls stay more brown-gray-blond-reddish (dull where the roo is brighter, bolder). If this one's comb is more noticeable than all the rest and they are from the same batch, that, too would hint towards it being a roo. I didn't put all that together until they were about 3 months old because I had it in my head that, since the store told me I was getting all girls, then I had all girls! LOL My boys are pretty, though, when they're not harassing the girls. (I am going to likely build a separate pen/coop for them as I'm just not ready to part with or eat them yet).

Hey just thought that you guys could help with sexing my Ameraucana mixes.
They are going to be 4 weeks old in 4 days and I really would like to know sex.
Ana is bigger, heavier, has thicker legs, bigger redder comb, and stands up really straight when frightened. I think Ana is a boy, but I just want to make sure. I think both Ana and Elsa have some Ameraucana in them.
Here's Ana.

And here's Elsa. She's smaller, lighter, has a smaller comb with no red and has saller legs (i think).

A good shot of her beard.

Them together. Do you notice any difference in their legs?

I'm no expert, but I was sold six EE pullets and two turned out to be boys (my pictures/posts are many, many pages back now).  The more studly of the boys started getting black-and-white coloring after starting out more brown then the rest, though my red roo was the blondest of the bunch.  I have read here that the roos tend towards that black-and-white coloring (with other colors mixed in) while the girls stay more brown-gray-blond-reddish (dull where the roo is brighter, bolder).  If this one's comb is more noticeable than all the rest and they are from the same batch, that, too would hint towards it being a roo.  I didn't put all that together until they were about 3 months old because I had it in my head that, since the store told me I was getting all girls, then I had all girls!  LOL  My boys are pretty, though, when they're not harassing the girls.  (I am going to likely build a separate pen/coop for them as I'm just not ready to part with or eat them yet). 
Gosh I hope mine's a girl, she was more blonde with the chipmunk markings when I got her at the feed store (all of them had the same marking just some were a little darker) all the chicks were suppose to be pullets. All the baby fuzz is filling in with nice even pattern colored feathers. I can't have cockerels so I'm crossing my fingers!

I didn't want roosters either, since I am too new to this to be thinking about having hatchlings around, but obviously, sexing isn't an exact science with the hatcheries that supply the local feed stores (and I'm sure no one at the feed store is going to know the first thing about it, either). They've got personality, though, especially my alpha-roo. He's a hoot. The "beta-boy" is like the brainless beefcake on the beach - nice to look at, but dumber than a box of rocks! LOL Poor guy! His original name was "Buffy" and I may have caused him an identity crisis! He is "Rupert" now, and he is trying to mimic the other boy (Spike). Spike is the only one really crowing, though. I heard one pathetic caw out of Rupert so far, though he may talk more when I'm not around. So, for the sake of entertainment, at least for a while, I will keep the boys, just get them their own bachelor pad as soon as I am able. :)

Good luck with your flock, Dianne!

I didn't want roosters either, since I am too new to this to be thinking about having hatchlings around, but obviously, sexing isn't an exact science with the hatcheries that supply the local feed stores (and I'm sure no one at the feed store is going to know the first thing about it, either).  They've got personality, though, especially my alpha-roo.  He's a hoot.  The "beta-boy" is like the brainless beefcake on the beach - nice to look at, but dumber than a box of rocks!  LOL  Poor guy!  His original name was "Buffy" and I may have caused him an identity crisis!  He is "Rupert" now, and he is trying to mimic the other boy (Spike).  Spike is the only one really crowing, though.  I heard one pathetic caw out of Rupert so far, though he may talk more when I'm not around.  So, for the sake of entertainment, at least for a while, I will keep the boys, just get them their own bachelor pad as soon as I am able. :)

Good luck with your flock, Dianne!
Thank you

My birds are now about 6 weeks. I am hoping they're all girls, of course, despite 2 of them having boys names. (Blame my kids and their goofy senses of humor!) 3 EE's and 2 Buckeyes. What is everybody's best guess?

The twins :
Bird #1 Joan Jett (Buckeye)

#2 Pat Benatar (Buckeye)

#3 Debbie Harry (EE)

#4 Fernando (EE)

#5 Gerald (EE)

I wish I could have gotten better pictures, but my models were less than cooperative.
gig.gif

Group shot just for fun

Back
Top Bottom