Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

It helps if the chick is mostly feathered in. You can post some pics and we can try and help you out. 

Thank you, I'll post some asap. But my other question is, in confused about the "peace comb" ...I keep reading about a male having 3 combs? Does that mean 3 bumps or what? And mine has 3 distinct bumps, then the last one is kinda flat looking?

Thank you, I'll post some asap. But my other question is, in confused about the "peace comb" ...I keep reading about a male having 3 combs? Does that mean 3 bumps or what? And mine has 3 distinct bumps, then the last one is kinda flat looking?

Pea comb. Can be three rows or only one. This is good example:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-9-comb-types

My cockerel didn't have obvious 3 rows until a couple weeks ago. He is about 12 weeks old.

Last edited:
Three rows of peas. And it's not exactly accurate. A pullet can just as easily have three rows.

I need help with sexing this EE, based on his/her comb and his/her coloring I am thinking Roo, but when I posted earlier photo of him/her when he/she was 6 weeks I was told she's a pullet. In all fairness the dark patches on his/her back have recently revealed themselves. He/she is now 9-10 weeks old. I know EE are the mutts of chicken world, but I found a farm upstate for my BO rooster that you can see hanging in the background and it would be easier to make one trip to drop off both.

Look how pinkish red his face and comb are

Look at the dark patches on his/her back

I need help with sexing this EE, based on his/her comb and his/her coloring I am thinking Roo, but when I posted earlier photo of him/her when he/she was 6 weeks I was told she's a pullet. In all fairness the dark patches on his/her back have recently revealed themselves. He/she is now 9-10 weeks old. I know EE are the mutts of chicken world, but I found a farm upstate for my BO rooster that you can see hanging in the background and it would be easier to make one trip to drop off both.

Look how pinkish red his face and comb are

Look at the dark patches on his/her back

This is a tough one. The cushion comb makes sexing more difficult. While the red usually indicates male, I'm not sure it does in this case. Needs another couple weeks to be sure.

In case you didn't notice, that post is pretty darn old.

Yes, these chicks are now pensioners or long gone!
smile.png
I'd have to resurrect some later photos on them to find out how they turned out, sex-wise! But thanks for the input! I'll hatch chicks again, I'm sure!

Pea comb. Can be three rows or only one. This is good example:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-9-comb-types

My cockerel didn't have obvious 3 rows until a couple weeks ago. He is about 12 weeks old.

So here is a pic of my EE....I think she is a she. Lol...but I've Never had chickens before and she is the only one so I can't watch her behavior with other chickens. She was being feisty with the dogs, I didn't know if that was normal chicken behavior or what...or because she was "protecting" her momma. Outside she gets along great with the dogs,but if they come near her food or they get on the couch, she runs them off. She stands really tall, she flips her wings, I find it amusing, and part of every one "knowing their place" in the house hold. But I am just curious if my little girl might be a boy?
Thanks, I'll post some more pics too.

Wondering on this one? This ones comb seems to have quite a bit more color compared to the other one the same age..any thoughts? 6 Weeks Old.

Back
Top Bottom