Easter Egger Trouble!

HollyG

Hatching
8 Years
May 25, 2011
My one Easter Egger hen just started laying eggs but any other eggs that maybe in the nesting box she knocks out onto the floor and they break. How can I stop this from happening???

3-4" lip on front of nest.
They can get pretty rambunctious at first with arranging the nest bedding, they'll settle down after a couple weeks.

I began having this problem when I added more chickens to my flock. When the new pullets started to lay, they pushed the other hens eggs out of the nesting box so i had to put a lip outside of the boxes and fill it up with hay, problem solved. The eggs don't break.

Maybe this setting will give you an idea of how to add the lip to the boxes, I don't know how your nesting boxes are placed in your coop but I believe you can adapt the concept to any box.
It is good to pick up the eggs more than once a day so the pullets don't get any ideas when they see the eggs outside of the nests.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

I began having this problem when I added more chickens to my flock. When the new pullets started to lay, they pushed the other hens eggs out of the nesting box so i had to put a lip outside of the boxes and fill it up with hay, problem solved. The eggs don't break.

Maybe this setting will give you an idea of how to add the lip to the boxes, I don't know how your nesting boxes are placed in your coop but I believe you can adapt the concept to any box.
It is good to pick up the eggs more than once a day so the pullets don't get any ideas when they see the eggs outside of the nests.

GOOD LUCK !!!!
Would have been much simpler to just put the front of that trough on the front of the nests.

I already had the 2 x 4 at the bottom as a tep for the hens to get in the nesting boxes, all I had to do is add the 2 x 4 in the front and the 2 pieces on each end.

Back
Top Bottom