easter- egger vs olive egger?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by minnesotachicken, Jul 16, 2010.

1. minnesotachicken

minnesotachicken Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    South Metro
    What is the difference? Is it always maran x americauna? I'm confused!

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    an easter egger is any ameraucana mix like a Ameraucana x Rhode Island Red or Ameraucana x Austrolorp these are considered EE's an Olive Egger is a Ameraucana x Dark Brown Egg Layer it doesn't necessarily have to be a Marans it could be a Welsummer or Barnevelder. The dark eggs of these breeds make the green darker than if they were crossed with a white, brown, or other green/blue egg layer. The most common form of Olive Eggers is the Marans x Ameraucana. Hope this helps

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Well, if it didn't help minnesotachicken, it sure helped me!!! [​IMG]

4. minnesotachicken

May 25, 2010
    South Metro
    Thanks!!! That helps alot! When breeder/ hatcheries sell these, does it say what mix they are?

5. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

We use EE's to cross for Olive Eggers. Just make sure the EE lays the bluest egg. She lays a VERY dark green ( army green egg). We also crossed a pea comb olive egger rooster with a welsummer hen with good results.

Bluemoon

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:Hatcheries- No they probably won't tell you what the cross is
    Breeder- They will almost definately tell you what the cross is and show you parents, siblings, and maybe even egg colors from one or all!

7. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    an easter egger is any ameraucana mix like a Ameraucana x Rhode Island Red or Ameraucana x Austrolorp these are considered EE's

Not nessacerely (Spelling) so. Easter Eggers are the stock of which Ameracauna and Araucanas are derived from. They are not considered Ameraucanas or Araucanas because they do not color comform. Some people and hatcheries do mix them with american bloodline chickens.

an Olive Egger is a Ameraucana x Dark Brown Egg Layer

I have seen some pretty dark olive colored eggs from the hatchery EE's (Ameraucana, Aracauna/Americana) birds.
    Although A dark brown egg layer mixed in would also be A dark olive egg.​

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just as an EE isn't an actual breed, but can be a cross, an olive egger is just a term coined for the crossing of a dark brown egg layer with a blue/green egg layer. It's not an actual breed.

9. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Araucana derives from collonca(rumpless/cleanfaced, a naturally blue egglayer) X Quetro (a pinkish-brown egg layer that is tailed and has ear-tufts).

Araucanas are often confused with other fowl by novice's/hatcheries

Araucana, Ameraucana or Easter Egger?
    When the Araucana was first introduced to breeders worldwide, in the mid-20th century, it was quickly realized that the genetics that produced tufts and rumpless also caused chick mortality.[4] As it turns out, two copies of the gene causes nearly 100% mortality shortly before hatching. One copy causes about 20% mortality. The tufted gene is dominant however. Because no living araucana possesses two copies of the tufted gene, breeding any two tufted birds leads to half of the resulting brood being tufted with one copy of the gene, a quarter being clean faced with no copy of the gene, and a quarter of the brood dead in the shell having received two copies of the gene.

In the decades to follow, most breeders took one of two tactics - either to preserve the old style of bird, or to breed out the tufts while increasing productivity.

In 1976, the first standards for the breed were accepted by the APA, conforming to the traditional style.[5] This was followed, in 1984, by a second standard for the "improved" variety.

The gene for blue eggs is dominant, so the term "Easter Egger" is used to describe birds of mixed breeding that produce such eggs. Unfortunately, these mixed breeds are often incorrectly labeled as Araucanas or Ameraucanas, and marketed to backyard poultry hobbyists who are not aware of the difference.

In short, the differences are as follows:

USA & Canada Araucana – Tufts (lethal allele), rumpless, blue eggs, green legs and yellow skin (with exceptions).
    US Ameraucana – Beards and muffs (NO lethal gene), with tail feathers, blue eggs, blue legs and white skin.
    British, Irish, New Zealand, Asian, Japanese, Russian, Dutch, French, Spanish, Bellarus, Ukrainian, Scandinavian, Argentinian, Chilean, South African, Pacific Islands, Brazilian, Mexican, Peruvian, Arabic Nations, Indian, Pakistan, Nepalese and Australian Araucana – Beards, muffs and crest, with tail feathers, blue eggs, slate legs and grey/white skin.
    Easter Egger – Variable traits.

More here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucana

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  10. minnesotachicken

May 25, 2010
    South Metro
    Great! So, Arucanas and Ameraucanas are the same breed? Hhmmm.... they sure make it tough to get different colors into my egg carton [​IMG] haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by