Easter egger without muffs and beard

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by djunafarms, Jun 12, 2017.

1. djunafarms

djunafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    howdy, I posted this question in another forum but it may have been the wrong one. I have a new EE (the yellow chick in the photo, in front of the blue ameraucana and the polish) from my pet chicken.

She has no beard or muffs but I can see that she has a pea comb and her legs are very green.

I'm wondering if the absence of muffs is a deal breaker for blue or green eggs?

20170610_201506.jpg Do any of y’all have muffless EEs that lay a blue or green egg? She does have a pea comb, I'm just surprised she is clean faced. Thank you!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I do (and no pea comb either - singles). I bred my own, so not sure about hatchery versions.

djunafarms likes this.
  3. djunafarms

Mar 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Thank you.

CTKen likes this.
  4. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    An EE could lay any color eggs, but if she was listed on the site as blue or green than that is most likely.

djunafarms likes this.
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The muff and beard are not a deal breaker regarding egg color. That she has willow colored legs is a good sign. I also breed my own EE, and had completely lost the muff/beard trait from my flock. Last spring, I introduced a couple of Ameraucanas. All of their daughters are sporting very full muffs and beards. I'm delighted with these new pullets. My egg basket from current layers is about 50% blue/green/aqua/olive. FYI, blue egg color is considered dominant, and when mixed with varying shades of brown will give you the green -> olive colors. Pea comb is dominant over straight comb, but results in a funky pea type comb. Pea x Rose comb = Walnut comb. I love the tiny little Walnut combs in my flock.

wyldflwr and djunafarms like this.
  6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    In answer to your polling type question, yes, I have an EE with no muffs and beard and she lays olive green eggs. Hatchery EE.

djunafarms likes this.
  7. djunafarms

Mar 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Very interesting, thanks!

8. djunafarms

Mar 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    thank you, very good to hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by