Easter egger without muffs and beard

djunafarms

Chirping
Mar 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
howdy, I posted this question in another forum but it may have been the wrong one. I have a new EE (the yellow chick in the photo, in front of the blue ameraucana and the polish) from my pet chicken.

She has no beard or muffs but I can see that she has a pea comb and her legs are very green.

I'm wondering if the absence of muffs is a deal breaker for blue or green eggs?

20170610_201506.jpg Do any of y’all have muffless EEs that lay a blue or green egg? She does have a pea comb, I'm just surprised she is clean faced. Thank you!

The muff and beard are not a deal breaker regarding egg color. That she has willow colored legs is a good sign. I also breed my own EE, and had completely lost the muff/beard trait from my flock. Last spring, I introduced a couple of Ameraucanas. All of their daughters are sporting very full muffs and beards. I'm delighted with these new pullets. My egg basket from current layers is about 50% blue/green/aqua/olive. FYI, blue egg color is considered dominant, and when mixed with varying shades of brown will give you the green -> olive colors. Pea comb is dominant over straight comb, but results in a funky pea type comb. Pea x Rose comb = Walnut comb. I love the tiny little Walnut combs in my flock.

The muff and beard are not a deal breaker regarding egg color. That she has willow colored legs is a good sign. I also breed my own EE, and had completely lost the muff/beard trait from my flock. Last spring, I introduced a couple of Ameraucanas. All of their daughters are sporting very full muffs and beards. I'm delighted with these new pullets. My egg basket from current layers is about 50% blue/green/aqua/olive. FYI, blue egg color is considered dominant, and when mixed with varying shades of brown will give you the green -> olive colors. Pea comb is dominant over straight comb, but results in a funky pea type comb. Pea x Rose comb = Walnut comb. I love the tiny little Walnut combs in my flock.

Very interesting, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom