Easter Egger?

Superjaxster

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2017
This little guy was brought home with his supposed siblings from TSC from the Fall chick days under the general "Ameracauna" title, which on searching while in the store just meant Easter Egger. I just couldn't resist! He has been the smallest from day 1 and now they are 5 weeks old. Everyone else has pretty much feathered out completely, but this guy is lagging behind. Is there a chance he is a different cross breed? I heard that cockerels feather slower than pullets, but I'm pretty certain that there is at least one cock in this batch (which I will post about later when I can get good comb pics!) and he is fully feathered and huge in comparison to the others. This is my first round with chicks and I've been enjoying the process so much, just super curious if this little guy is "normal". I mean, he has his wings and a tiny stub tail, but pretty much nothing else. Thanks for the help!
IMG_20171019_095639924.jpg
IMG_20171019_095636136.jpg
IMG_20171019_095607799.jpg
IMG_20171019_095600339.jpg

Thanks everyone! Glad to know it has happened to others. I'm hoping that one is a pullet, but I also hope she mellows out too. Maybe it is from being "behind" the flock, but she does not like to be held and puts up a racket! I did notice some pin feathers today too, so the feathers are coming in!

That looks like an Easter Egger. The same thing happened to my batch this spring, all of my chicks were growing rapidly except for one of my two Easter Eggers. She finally took a growth spurt but is still my smallest one.
Glad I'm not alone!

Totally agree with the EE, but I think that this one is a bit younger than the other... which can easily happen in a feed store bin. They get them in batches, and just dump the like breeds together.
I could see this happening, but its interesting because they told me that bin full had just come in that day. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom