Easter Eggers all stopped laying at 15 months old. Been almost 4 months now.

jasondean

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2016
We have barred rock, rhode island reds, and easter eggers.

Got them as chicks April 2016.

All normal until this summer, they stopped laying, then maybe a month later they started molting. They finished molting a month ago. In total it's been around 4 or 5 months of literally zero blue eggs.

I've checked regularly for them laying elsewhere in the yard.
Their diet is fine. Their scratch is kept full and their free range area is large and has several healthy compost piles for them to pick bugs from as well as healthy access to greens that we bring them from volunteer spinach and lettuces that grow in the front.
They are young and healthy.
There are no predator stresses.
The other breeds are laying regularly.

I've researched everything I can think of and can't figure it. Any ideas?

Literally not one blue egg from the 4 Easter Eggers in months. So weird.

Not that weird. Many breeds will take months off between August and March before starting up again. Most will wait until after the winter solstice, and many not until early spring. Many Easter eggers lay well the first season than become more sporadic in the second and third.

I agree that it is perfectly normal for them to have several months off over the moulting and winter period. I would not expect eggs from them before Christmas, but they may not lay before Feb or March..... there is a lot of variation in "normal"

That said.....
Their scratch is kept full
This phrase causes me some concern!
Chickens should not have access to scratch free choice.....It should be fed only as a treat thrown on the ground to encourage them to forage for their food. Scratch is low in protein and high in carbohydrates. They will eat it in preference to compound feed which is formulated to provide them with a balance of all the nutrients they need to produce eggs and stay healthy. If they eat too much scratch they can become obese which can lead to reproductive disorders and other health issues. Feathers can hide a multitude of sins.... both obesity and emaciation and often people don't realise that their chickens are too fat or too thin until their health fails.
I'm not saying your chickens are fat, but I would be very concerned if they have access to ad lib scratch.

I agree that it is perfectly normal for them to have several months off over the moulting and winter period.
This phrase causes me some concern! Me Too
Chickens should not have access to scratch free choice.....
X2
Chickens will eat scratch before they will eat their regular food .
I call it chicken Crack
they are probably not getting enough protein and calcium to lay
one or 2 handfuls a day ...depending on how many chickens you have

I agree that it is perfectly normal for them to have several months off over the moulting and winter period. I would not expect eggs from them before Christmas, but they may not lay before Feb or March..... there is a lot of variation in "normal"

That said.....

This phrase causes me some concern!
Chickens should not have access to scratch free choice.....It should be fed only as a treat thrown on the ground to encourage them to forage for their food. Scratch is low in protein and high in carbohydrates. They will eat it in preference to compound feed which is formulated to provide them with a balance of all the nutrients they need to produce eggs and stay healthy. If they eat too much scratch they can become obese which can lead to reproductive disorders and other health issues. Feathers can hide a multitude of sins.... both obesity and emaciation and often people don't realise that their chickens are too fat or too thin until their health fails.
I'm not saying your chickens are fat, but I would be very concerned if they have access to ad lib scratch.
I said scratch, I meant feed. We give them high protein layer feeds mixed with dried powdered egg shells and a bit of beetroot powder as a vitamin boost. Zero scratch.

EE's can be inconsistent layers.

I've checked regularly for them laying elsewhere in the yard.
their free range area is large
Are you sure they aren't laying? They don't call the 'hidden nests' for nothing. :D Do an exam, then lock them up.

Who is laying and who is not exam.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

shoot! My husband won't like that. I love EE but feeding them for months without eggs . Mine stopped 3 weeks ago. So did my salmon Faverolles. They have fenced areas 35'x40' (6 chickens) and 25'x30'(4 chickens)
The only consistent layer is my Serama Silkie hen which lays 5+ a week till she went broody. On day 16 all 9 eggs are going strong. Thought she stopped laying but she was burying her eggs in the bedding.
I assume I chose the wrong breeds.

I don't have EEs but I have 2 black austrolorps and a Dixie rainbow who have also stopped laying. I'm guessing we won't see eggs again until spring. These are my first and I didn't know they would completely stop for so long, no big deal just interesting.

I have 4 EEs. Got them as teeny babies spring of 2016, they didn't start laying until Aug-Nov but did lay all winter, even with a couple of them molting. This year they all stopped laying around the first of October and are still in various stages of molting. I don't expect eggs until next year.

I've heard birds will usually lay through their first winter but after that slow down considerably and usually take the whole winter off. I've only got 4 and they're mostly pets, so I'm totally fine with it. People who want consistent layers usually add in new chickens/replace yearly and cull the 2 year olds.

Back
Top Bottom