Easter eggers..... do u know what colors the egg will be???

DutchieWannabe

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 18, 2010
Idaho
I am branching out and planning to add to my mini flock of 4.

I want some awesome colored eggs.... so when choosing an eater egger, do you know what color their egg shells will be? or is it a guessing game/ luck of the draw?

Also, I am assuming they always lay the same color egg once the hen gets going, or does the hen lay multiple colors..... I am assuming not... but thought I'd ask

thanks for replies, I am sure this is a common question.... I was jsut too lazy to research today.

-Heidi

I agree with FireTigeris.

If you want some EEs that lay different shades of blue/green... get a few of them. I have two EEs- one lays more greenish eggs and one lays more bluish ones. You can also get Olive-eggers (EEs crossed with a brown-egg laying breed)- which lay very nice darker eggs
smile.png

I had an EasterEgger hen, hatchery stock from rural king. She had the right leg color and pea comb. Her eggs were brown no hint of color. That is one of the color options just so you know.

Thanks all...

Carolyn, I will be sure to remember that. I am hoping to get blue or green, i have a few hens that lay beautiful brown speckeld eggs. but I guess in the end mother nature will decide.....

VTsarahb, Olive- eggers!
droolin.gif

now I will go back to craigslist, looking for locals who sell.

With an EE as I understand the pea comb increases the chances greatly of a colored egg (green or blue). But if you really want the colored egg and you can only get one chicken have you considered the Ameraucana ( one from a breeder)? I have EE's and love them and wouldn't trade them for anything no matter what nay-sayers say, but the Ameraucana would guarantee a colored egg for you. (blue)

My EE's from Meyer hatchery just started laying (but I think only one maybe two are) the eggs I've gotten so far are a beautiful medium green.

Last edited:
Quote:
I would go with these if you want a sure fire way of knowing you'll have a blue egg layer, but these are more expensive and harder to find. I have two easter eggers (Both have pea combs, muffs, colored legs) one lays a green egg and the other a seafoam blue. It actually went the other way around. My buff and white EE has the slate legs, while my common partridge color EE had dark green, I expected my buff/white to be the blue egg layer and the partridge a green. Lo and behold, there was suddenly a blue egg, but from Meko the partridge EE. My buff/white turned out laying nice, olive green eggs. Get two and see what you end up with, if you have what you want and can't handle an extra, sell 'em!

does a hen out of a blue or green egg have a better chance?

I was given some eggs, and one was green, and out of that clutch, I am getting a nice green egg, I am also getting a toast colred one, and an olive brown one.

MrsK

Back
Top Bottom