Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason I can't "Quote" so am going to reply. Regarding using sand. Here was my quote.

When I compared it to all the time and dust it takes for me to clean my coops...sand like Bario has is much better. Last time I had to clean both coops it took me 2 days of around 9 hours total. With sand I would say it would take me 15 minutes to scoop a day,IF it needed to be each day. The biggest place is where they roost. So..I would rather spend a few minutes a day than back breaking 9 hrs. 3 or 4 times a year. I also think adding sevin dust will be much for effective because the hens like to dust in the sand. I love it in my run. Before, after they had eat down the grass and it turned to dirt...or mud. It would be tracked all over everything and I hated muddy eggs. Once a week I take a garden rake and rake the straw or leaves that may be in it then rake it all over. Takes about 20-30 minutes. I did have a problem with the heavy rains washing my sand so I took put wood down at the top part where the water came through. Problem solved!!
Bario...where did you get your sand at? I used play sand which cost me a fortune and I really like yours better.

I got mine from this landscape place up the road a couple miles in reidtown. His bucket is 1 cu.yard which I thought was between a half and 3/4 of a ton of weight (looking at the trailer setting down when he loaded it)

But I just found out that it actually weighed 2500 lbs (my neighbor would kill me if he knew I had that much weight in it) That made it turn out to be 17.00 for a little over a ton then.

At any rate... I did all the math. A ton of sand will cover 170 square feet of coop floor at a good enough depth. A ton will cover 80-100 square feet of run space.

This especially for barbedwirecat; there are about 30 5-gallon buckets in a ton of sand (figuring you wont fill them all the way to the brim). So each 5 gallon bucket will cover about 6 sq.feet

(it helps to be a nerd)
caf.gif

Last edited:
P.S. Terri. Remember that I dont have the poop board back up yet either. That will make a lot of difference as well. But with out it I spend 10 or 15 minutes out there every morning.

Tried to work on the rabbit cages last night. Looks like their space will allow them to have 36 x 30 cages at 24 tall. They should be happy with that ( they are going to have to be )

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank Bairo for the work involved in this post. It is a very helpful post!
I got mine from this landscape place up the road a couple miles in reidtown. His bucket is 1 cu.yard which I thought was between a half and 3/4 of a ton of weight (looking at the trailer setting down when he loaded it)

But I just found out that it actually weighed 2500 lbs (my neighbor would kill me if he knew I had that much weight in it) That made it turn out to be 17.00 for a little over a ton then.

At any rate... I did all the math. A ton of sand will cover 170 square feet of coop floor at a good enough depth. A ton will cover 80-100 square feet of run space.

This especially for barbedwirecat; there are about 30 5-gallon buckets in a ton of sand (figuring you wont fill them all the way to the brim). So each 5 gallon bucket will cover about 6 sq.feet

(it helps to be a nerd)
caf.gif
PS. Nerds rock!

@bairo - Thank you! much more cost effective to bribe a buddy with a truck. It looks like I'll need about 3/4 ton so I might as well buy a ton (I use it in the garden when planting for drainage too, and with my reptiles.)

I'm a nerd, but not good with the maths! :D

Last edited:
ahhh... Im blushing
caf.gif

Now for the next little oops that turned out well.
I go out last night and find a funnel shape in the sand in the middle of the coop, and it was moving!!!!! So I go get the shovel to wack the monster under the sand when I finally figure out it is where part of the weak floor was giving way and the sand was flowing under the shed/coop (that was close, almost eaten by a sand monster).
This morning when I cut the 2 ft. sq. bad place out and fixed the floor joist, I noticed a nice cool draft blowing up in my face from under the shed. The wheels started turning, LOL. I covered my square hole with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and screwed it down with fender washers. Then I picture framed the whole thing with 2x4's so I would not loose any more sand of course. The hole is right dead square in the middle of the coop and drafting cool air up and then out the roof vents.....taking any smell, and moisture with it. In the winter time I will make a lockable cover for it.

I rarely get the opportunity to turn a problem into a benefit, LOVE IT!!!!
celebrate.gif

Well, don't know how I hurt my ankle, but there was some swelling and tenderness to the area right below my ankle bone. Went to the doc and had x-rays done, thankfully not the bone so she wrapped my ankle to help support it... sad thing is it hurts more wrapped than just laying around... oh well...
idunno.gif
Eggs going into lock down! WOOT!!

I tried sand in my brooders once. I bought the kind that you use to make concrete. Guess what? If you mix it with water it turns to CONCRETE! I had a rock solid mess.

@Bairo, am I supposed to be setting Ameraucana eggs back for you? I put yesterday's up but then thought I should check to be sure...

@terri. Per our earlier conversation... Does tsc or any of the dollar stores still have any of those little hand warmer packs on clearance? They last a few hours. Do you see where I'm going with this ;)

Way to go on the floor fix!!. I think Walmart may carry them year round., In fact I think I have some in the camper when the trails are a bit coolish. Those would help with the heat. I know they are used in shipping chicks if the weather may be too cold. Thanks Bario!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom