Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about processing costs but when I mentioned it my father-in-law said he would not eat it. He said something about them running loose, not vetted and it would not be good? I have heard them say if you process a beef, hog, etc it needs to be put up & kept off the pasture for a certain amount of time to keep it from eating wild onions & other things so the meat will not taste bad.
hu.gif

The Walking Dead is one of dh's shows. Its not the movie but the series on A&E. I do well after as long as I am not alone with my imagination.

tnchickenut- the carving looked good, I am with stang mine starts out with a 3 teeth & may end up with 1 if its lucky.
big_smile.png
To be honest, I like deer meat (wild animal that eats whatever it wants) a cow on grass is so much healthier than a cow given grain (less e. coli from what I hear).

You two can do all the turkey hunting you want. As long as I can purchase meat I will not kill anything that has 2 eyes looking at me. I am such a softie its kinda sad. If not for dh and son I would have to take chickens to the vet to be put down. And to think I grew up in the country but just not far enough in I guess. My husband says they are very hard to hunt maybe more so than deer.

To be honest, I like deer meat (wild animal that eats whatever it wants) a cow on grass is so much healthier than a cow given grain (less e. coli from what I hear).

These are eating whatever they can find. I feel bad for them but when someone hits one with a car you can rest assured the people who own them will not claim them. Idk about the feed other than they usually put them up for a few weeks before slaughter. Its something people have done for as long as I can remember.

These are eating whatever they can find. I feel bad for them but when someone hits one with a car you can rest assured the people who own them will not claim them. Idk about the feed other than they usually put them up for a few weeks before slaughter. Its something people have done for as long as I can remember.
Yeah, that's what they do to "marble" the meat... So, they're not your cows? LOL...
I've got plenty of land for cows... but not sure I'd be able to keep a wild one from getting out.
Buying cows is expensive..

Last edited:
Hunting is great! Me/hubby go every year hunting deer. And yes, they are easier to hunt than Turkey's. Turkey's have incredible eyes and see you move even if you only flinch. And you have to get closer to them.

Last year, we were in the midst of our move and we decided to go one day. The powers that be saw fit to send 2 doe's together to the same tree at the same time and we both killed a deer 45 mins after we hit the woods. YUM YUM. I haven't bought beef in over 8 years. We have been lucky.

We enjoy it and its something we can do away from the world. And you can be amazed at the nature you get to see while doing it. Last year I let an awesome buck walk behind my stand while watching a momma bird feed her little babies nestled in a log on the ground in front of me.
th.gif
Luckily, he didn't get past the hubby.

So anyone who wants to try it....go for it! Buck Fever is something you will NEVER forget.
ep.gif

Hunting is great! Me/hubby go every year hunting deer. And yes, they are easier to hunt than Turkey's. Turkey's have incredible eyes and see you move even if you only flinch. And you have to get closer to them.

Last year, we were in the midst of our move and we decided to go one day. The powers that be saw fit to send 2 doe's together to the same tree at the same time and we both killed a deer 45 mins after we hit the woods. YUM YUM. I haven't bought beef in over 8 years. We have been lucky.

We enjoy it and its something we can do away from the world. And you can be amazed at the nature you get to see while doing it. Last year I let an awesome buck walk behind my stand while watching a momma bird feed her little babies nestled in a log on the ground in front of me.
th.gif
Luckily, he didn't get past the hubby.

So anyone who wants to try it....go for it! Buck Fever is something you will NEVER forget.
ep.gif
I love that feeling, going to the grocery store knowing I don't need to buy ANY meat, because my freezer has chicken, rabbit, deer and boar in it.
smile.png

I love that feeling, going to the grocery store knowing I don't need to buy ANY meat, because my freezer has chicken, rabbit, deer and boar in it.
smile.png
I wish I was there with you. I could probably purchase from an individual but not able to do it myself.

Yeah, that's what they do to "marble" the meat... So, they're not your cows? LOL...
I've got plenty of land for cows... but not sure I'd be able to keep a wild one from getting out.
Buying cows is expensive..
You don't have to buy these they are free for the taking! I don't know much about cows other than I am allergic to them. My father-in-law says they are dangerous because they are wild and he should know he has worked with them all his life.

Good night all. I think I have settled down enough for bed now.

Last edited:
Cool! I don't normally break laws
wink.png
really wish the classes were more flexible... they want you to be going 4 times in one week to cover 12-16 hours worth of material.. I can't go because I'm at school on Tues. & Thurs. all night... I would be a bad turkey hunter, I'd be the one screaming "gobble gobble gobble" (kidding of course)!
That is funny you say that because I would joke and say I'd just go out and say "Hey turkey turkey... I got some scratch!" LMAO

I don't know about processing costs but when I mentioned it my father-in-law said he would not eat it. He said something about them running loose, not vetted and it would not be good? I have heard them say if you process a beef, hog, etc it needs to be put up & kept off the pasture for a certain amount of time to keep it from eating wild onions & other things so the meat will not taste bad.
hu.gif

The Walking Dead is one of dh's shows. Its not the movie but the series on A&E. I do well after as long as I am not alone with my imagination.

tnchickenut- the carving looked good, I am with stang mine starts out with a 3 teeth & may end up with 1 if its lucky.
big_smile.png
If you take them to butcher they will be charged per pound and it can be high. But if you are a eco-nut self sufficient type... you shoot it in the head, get the tractor to lift it up, and clean it yourself.

Not all people take them off pasture. I know a few eco-nut friends who will shoot one where it stands when they want to butcher. Sounds violent, but what factory farming is like is FAR worse.

You two can do all the turkey hunting you want. As long as I can purchase meat I will not kill anything that has 2 eyes looking at me. I am such a softie its kinda sad. If not for dh and son I would have to take chickens to the vet to be put down. And to think I grew up in the country but just not far enough in I guess. My husband says they are very hard to hunt maybe more so than deer.

Country has not much to do with it... I'm from Washington, DC!!! lol!!! And they are hard to hunt, which is why I like it for one... I don't think there is sport in shooting something standing under a feeder you bought. But I won't get into that here. ;) I like you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom