Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I from Hixson,TN just north of chattanooga. I just recently purchased some chickens and built a coop for them in the backyard. I got them for my three children. I have 7 RIR's and 2 cornish rocks.

Quote:
Hi, Hixsonchicken, and...

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
The reds are RIR's, the dark black ones with yellow chests and yellow legs are Silver Laced Wyandottes, and the rest are Easter Eggers
smile.png
7 are white/light brown, and 7 are mostly spotted and different color variations

You can always tell my Olive Eggers (EExWelsummer/WW)..they look like little quail and mine have kept alot of that characteristics when grown especially around the eyes. Stang..the RIR are adorable!!
If anyone is interested...I will have a few OE roos for sale in a couple weeks. Will posts pics later..need to update them. They have 2 blue genes and 1 brown gene. I would be interested to see what would come out of one bred to an EE. They are around 3 mo. now and will make good breeders to anyone who is working on OE lines.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hatching is done....
he.gif
Again I have chicks that where ready to hatch but didn't. I lost half my hatch. I am so frustrated right now but know it is something during the hatching process. I have been keeping the humidity around 55 average. Someone told me it needed to be around 70...is this right? That seems terribly high..but then...what I have been keeping it at does not seem to work. I noticed when I did eggtopsy that the air sac had dried out some. I thought at first maybe because I left them 2 extra days for late stragglers. Now...I am wondering. Any ideas out there???

Quote:
Hatching is done....
he.gif
Again I have chicks that where ready to hatch but didn't. I lost half my hatch. I am so frustrated right now but know it is something during the hatching process. I have been keeping the humidity around 55 average. Someone told me it needed to be around 70...is this right? That seems terribly high..but then...what I have been keeping it at does not seem to work. I noticed when I did eggtopsy that the air sac had dried out some. I thought at first maybe because I left them 2 extra days for late stragglers. Now...I am wondering. Any ideas out there???

I feel your pain. I worked my tail off using sponges, wash clothes, and paper towels to get the humidity up to 65% in my LG. I had one hatch exactly on the day it was due, but came out sticky with a rough navel, (bloody rear) which I read meant the humidity was too high. The other two pipped internally and that was it. I suspect that they drown. I'm letting off on the humidity for the next batch that goes into lock down Sunday. I think I'm going to aim for 60% and see how that goes.

Did the ones that hatched look OK? They fluffed out OK and didn't have a lot of membrane stuck on them? I heard Silkies are really tricky.

We are chicken newbies here in the Seymour/Sevierville area. We have two RIR and two Barred Rocks.

Thanks TNBarnQueen! I like the different colors of my EE hens
smile.png
I also like the quality of my RIR's, I got compliments from LC feeds guy Mike and the guy who hatches my chicks.

Tennesseeckn - Thank you for the Americauan rooster, he is so sweet! We weren't sure where we were going to put him, so DH said lets try the SLW pen... well he kept getting grabbed by the SLW rooster (which is blind now in one eye from the EE rooster that beat the crap out of him, thus me needing a new EE rooster. I am so mad at that darn chicken!) and DH was squating near the run door and the lil rooster just jumped into his arms as if to say "save me" so DH and I put him with the smaller chicks and set him up in a XL dog kennel for now. He really didn't seem to mind the smaller chicks and never pecked one but they were less than half his size so we didn't want to risk it (the chicks are all pullets I bought from LC which weren't cheap). Acctually so far I see one lil EE rooster in there, kinda makes a person mad when they paid more than 3 dollars for a "sexed" chick to get a rooster huh?

On another note, my chicks are all fine... one of the RIR pullets from LC last week wasn't eating or drinking and looked to be on death's door, so we pulled her from the rest of the chicks and started dipping her head in water and she just kept drinking, still wouldn't eat so we tricked her by putting water in the food. Well after a few days of watching her and feeding her wet chick feed she started to perk back up and I swear she was spoiled for the few days she spent by herself in the house. She would only eat the wet food and leave the dry, so we stopped giving her any more wet food and she finally ate the dry and she's back with the others.

Oh, the weather was so nice today.. I got my FIL to til me up a good section to put my garden
tongue.png
I'm really excited about that!
wee.gif
and DH's friend has started my seeds for free for me so I'll be getting everything together... My neighbor is also going to use the garden to put herbs and stuff, and she's been talking about a green house. Whew! What a busy week! I have soo much homework to do, I'd better get off of here!
frow.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom