Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I've got a few chicks left, probably around 75, with one more tray hatching out tomorrow. This will be the last hatch for the season. I do have some polish and some turkens. The polish are white crested blacks, buff laced, and maybe a few crele/tolbunt mix. The turkens come in a variety of colors, barred, reds, blacks, browns, etc. I also will have a few Sicilian Buttercups, Ameracanas, black australorps, delawares, light brahmas, maybe a few welsummers. I also have lavander orpingtons. I'm not sure where you live, I live in Delano in Polk Co. near the Mennonite horse and buggy community. If I can help just let me know. Thanks

So Today alone We went from a chicken-less family to having 4, and fifth coming tomorrow!

My husband and I went to the Crossville Flea Market, haha BIG mistake! I love small knick knacks and well though going would be funl We ended leaving with 3 chickens and 2 ducks. I felt so bad for the chickens, they are jungle fowl, and the guy was talking about how much the rooster was worth because he was a fighting bird. So, I talked my Hubby into buying the three the guy had! Then I found a guy with some of the prettiest ducks! We picked out a boy and girl Rouen. They are 10 months old and already laying. They are BIG duckies!

My Hubby picked up some wire from TSC for the jungle fowl as I read they can't be with other chickens. They are some of the prettiest chickens I have ever seen. The rooster's tail is like 2 feet long!!!!!

The other chicken we got today was from BYC Member Impress. He is a SS and OMGosh the boys are in love with their new buddy. They had him eating from their hands about 15 after we got home. We are hoping to find him a girly tomorrow, haha number 5.

I have put a order in with my father in law for a small coop and run for the new bantams we are getting. We are planning on some SS girls for layers, but that will be it for chickens. We had a talk with the boys today and I think we are going to be happy with just a couple, but Matt is in love with the ducks! He is going to be our duck boy....

Hi guys.

I think I once made a post here but im not sure? Just thought I woild tell you all whats been up latley. In early spring I got 7 ducklings from a near by co op. 5 ended being boys and only 2 were girls! So then I told myself "i need to get rid of some boys and quick!" Didnt happen so fast, but then I saw a add for call ducks on craigs list and I thoight "man do I want more ducks!" So then after a movie me and my mom went and picked up a breeding pair of call ducks. Then a month or so later l ordered 6 ducklings from metzer farms. 1male welsh harlequin, 3 female welshies, and two more rouen ducklings for my male rouen. So then I felt bad not ordering any girls for my male khaki so I ordered 6 khaki eggs off ebay (biggest mistake ever made!) So then my moms friend was looking for a breeding pair of ducks, so I sold her my female ancona, my crested rouen drake, and my (normal) rouen drake. So then I had my rouen female, my rouen male, and my khaki campbell male, my two rouens then paired up, leaving my poor khaki all alone so i wanted to get two female khaki campbells for him. But my mom said "if you want two more, you need to get rid of two more" and I already had all the breeds I wanted except the khakis. So I put the calls up for sale or trade on craigslist. I wanted to trade them for two khaki girls but I was good with selling them too. And guess what.............? I got a txt from a lady saying "i have two female khaki campbells that have been laying for a month" and my mouth dropped open and I almost screamed! So then we traded the calls for the khakis yesterday, and I sold her 4 rouen hatching eggs. Now I have 1 breeding pairs of rouens, 1 breeding trio of khaki campbells, and 1male and three female welsh harlequin ducklings. And two rouen female ducklings.

And I traded those calls with citymomof2 how awesome is that? Thanks again citymomof2 you really made my week!

Oh crap, I went an ordered eggs and don't have a incubator setup. All I can seem to find is an LG from TSC around here. *headdesk* I tried to make my own last night with a fish tank and it's not holding well, so I'm going to use a BIGGER fish tank more lights and try the water heater thermo/heatsinks if I can get it wired without burning the house down.

ANYone know where I could get an incubator (better than LG) on shortshort notice (eggs should be here Wednesday?) before I pull my hair out? Just in case this fish tank thing doesn't work out I'd at least like to have one on hand and running.

I'm in Limestone, work in Greeneville. Will drive within reason.

Ah and poultrylady, yes actually I have been looking for the polish you have, but I think you are pretty far out there. Let me figure out this crazy incubator stuff and I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey CityMom.... I can cross (please let me do it, please let me do it!) my turken hen to alot of different roosters... I'm thinking maybe a dark egg layer roo. If you aren't particular you might be the person to help me satisfy my need to cross my turken to something. lol! I have been fighting the urge so bad!!!

Well the boys like the turkens as they think they look like aliens. I read they are hardy layers of large brown eggs which makes momma happy. With them being mixed would they still look funny?

"Funny"? No... unless you cross them to something feather footed... that would be odd. lol!! I can do Turken/NH or Turken/BR or Turken/Delaware if meat is what you want.... and yes, they lay very well... their eggs are large, not Delaware large, but NH or BR large.

Email me at [email protected] if you are interested. I hardly ever check BYC but my email gets checked 5 times a day.
wink.png

Quote:
Good luck with the LG incubator... the thermostat knob is a pain in the DONKEY! You would do better taking it back and taking your money to the Co-op and getting the Hova-bator. If you breathe on the LG knob, you will jump 5-10 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom