Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am in E. Tennessee. I live in Jonesborough. I found this thread as I am looking for the number of incubation days for Amerauca eggs, my friend just hatched some and she thought they hatched earlier than 21 days, anyone know if it is a shorter time? Thanks Judy

Chicken eggs are 21 days to incubate, depending on the environment they are incubated in they can hatch 2 days early/late. For me, if they havn't hatched by day 23 they go to the trash, but sometimes I'll get early hatchers. I think it has to do with temps as to how early. I think I've had some pip on day 19 and hatch day 20, but havn't had any earlier than that. Just make sure day 18 to put them on lock down (no turner) and don't open the bator to keep humidity steady. Anyone else have any extra input?
Hello, I am in E. Tennessee. I live in Jonesborough. I found this thread as I am looking for the number of incubation days for Amerauca eggs, my friend just hatched some and she thought they hatched earlier than 21 days, anyone know if it is a shorter time? Thanks Judy

For some reason I seldom have eggs that go 21 days. Usually mine start at 19 days. I agree with stang it has to do with heat. I rotate my eggs that are on the outer edge being closer to the heating element. Every 2 days the ones on the inside go to the outside and vice versa for the ones on the edge. Hopefully that kinda evens out the affect the heat has on the development.

The experts say 21 days minus 12 hours is the "official time"...but it never seems to work that way. They say that one degree cool average over the entire cycle and you get a day late, one degree warm and a day early.
My last hatch I was 99 to 101 the entire time and was due for Saturday Morning at 5 am, yet the first was out and dry Friday at noon and the last one at around 3 pm Sunday.
I use dual heat that is fan forced and also rotate my eggs every day or two when I am turning like tnbarnqueen does. As you can see, I still got a wide time frame.

Last edited:
Yay, hubby got off work early today to enjoy the weather, he started work on the incubator! He's got the drawers permanently in place now.
yesss.gif
Gotta figure out the door situation and put the insulation in and figure out how to set up fans, bulb, electric and all that... bairo, I watched the cam a few days back and all I saw was 2 chicks, one freshly hatched and the other one was running circles around it pecking it... I can't wait to start incubation of my BLRW's to see how well they do.

Love the ducks. Want some but hubby is like" not till we have a pond". In other words never, at the rate things are going. Dang tool shed took alot of the tax money we got back. Grrr.

Random duck picture. With all this recent rain my garden area looks like a bog. I'm not thrilled about it, but guess who is?

Hey there I'm about 10 minutes from you in Gray.
Seems to be a common thing with them. I have 2 Ameraucana , 2 Wyandotte and 2 Maran eggs cooking right now and ever since the first week the Ameraucanas have been a lot bigger then any of the others. I got them from a guy in Kingsport and e-mailed him to see if they were collected on the same day or if his hens may have already sat on them and he said they were from the same day I got them on. I will find out in the next few days, I stop turning on the 4th and they are due on the 6th for my b-day woohoo, what a gift.
smile.png

I was also going to ask if anyone knew about any battery hen rescue in the area? I can't take many, but I can change the lives of maybe 1or 2 hens and have them join our little flock of spoilt rotten pet chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom