Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure exactly how old bairo would know. I think either 15-16 wks...

Thx tnchickie! I do see the comb looks a little diff.

That is def a boy, library. Looks like I need to get you a hen. Are you coming to the picnic? And I can't remember if you needed a point of lay or already laying (seems like it was you that requested something older?) Also if you were looking for an olive egger or just a brown layer?

The reason I say that is most of his siblings turned out to be boys as well. I do have a 1 year old olive egger though that is black and lays a dark green egg or a Delaware that is laying as well.

PS...they were hatched Jan.28th so yes..about 15 weeks.

Last edited:
chigger:

I try to get the boys at about 20 weeks also. Most breeds have enough meat on them by then and your right at the time of the big hormone release when they start getting more active and the meat becomes tougher. Anything beyond that is a slow cooker bird most of the time. I would really rather get them at 16 weeks for tender fryers but they are usually too skinny to fool with.

Ah! My luck. Mr library is glad he was right :p

I'll be in co during the picnic but maybe we can meet 1/2 way somewhere before then? I did want a hen close to laying or already laying.... Preferably a colored egg layer :)

I have had multiple hawk losses in the last couple weeks. I would like to downsize by one German New Hampshire Pair. Had a trio but lost a hen (stupid hawk).

Considering these birds were going for big bucks very recently (and possibly still but I dont keep up with it anymore), they will be a bargain to some lucky person.

PM for more info. Also willing to sell the Rooster alone if someone wanted to go that route. Hen will either stay or go as a pair only.

Ugh, Library that is more than for sure a rooster!
tongue.png
I have been watching my cochins and langshans, I have roosters popping up everytime I look at them...
hmm.png
I still am needing to caponize my BLRW's, I'm running out of space to house so many **** chickens!!!! I have so many fatties it's ridiculous to keep buying feed all the time, if it's not layer, it's flock raiser, otherwise it's chick starter... le sigh...

@Nella....Hawks should have babes to feed right now so that may be why they are becoming more active and needing a larger food source.

@Bario...Your eggs lock down tomorrow! I am going to do my last candling tonight. I think 12 made it so far as of a week ago. Some of the older ones did not start....a couple started and I think because the egg was older was weak and stopped developing. This has been a great experiment on fertility age of eggs. I think I am going to have to take you up on the offer of borrowing the brooder.

rant.gif
Stupid hawks I have 2 that do low flies over just waiting for someone to peep out. I've lost 16 this season! Last one was 2 weeks ago. He couldn't take off with him. The dog and I rushed him. I got about 3 feet away and he gave up the beheaded chicken. A reflective wind sock was 15 feet away. But the sun wasn't over the ridge. Now, I don't let my chickens out till afternoon. I figured at least it gives them a chance to see what's coming.

Last edited:
30 more days til the picnic!
big_smile.png
Who else is egg-cited? Hope it'll be sunny!

Moved all the younger chicks from the brooder into the rabbit barn, so funny to watch them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom