Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a flock of about 35 chickens. When I hatch out eggs or sell them I want to make sure that they are pure and not cross bred. I have Delawares, Lemon Orps, Lavender Orps and EE'S. I let them all free range together, but when I want to get pure bred eggs I have an area to separate them all by breed. My question is how long would I need to keep them separated to insure that I am not selling or hatching out a cross breed chicken? Can the hen stay fertilized from a mating that took place days ago? Mine are not laying or anything yet, but should start within the next few weeks. They are about 15 weeks old. I am most interested in the Lemon Orps and don't want to keep the Lemon Orps together for a couple of days and the eggs I collect still be fertilized by another rooster. Any advice?

I have a flock of about 35 chickens. When I hatch out eggs or sell them I want to make sure that they are pure and not cross bred. I have Delawares, Lemon Orps, Lavender Orps and EE'S. I let them all free range together, but when I want to get pure bred eggs I have an area to separate them all by breed. My question is how long would I need to keep them separated to insure that I am not selling or hatching out a cross breed chicken? Can the hen stay fertilized from a mating that took place days ago? Mine are not laying or anything yet, but should start within the next few weeks. They are about 15 weeks old. I am most interested in the Lemon Orps and don't want to keep the Lemon Orps together for a couple of days and the eggs I collect still be fertilized by another rooster. Any advice?
I am not an expert, but I have read 2-3 week for pure eggs to be safe. That is what I read and what I did for the Swedish Flower Hens. Also, I waited until they had been laying a few weeks before I started hatching.

I am not an expert, but I have read 2-3 week for pure eggs to be safe. That is what I read and what I did for the Swedish Flower Hens. Also, I waited until they had been laying a few weeks before I started hatching.

This is what I would do. From what I was told, sperm can last up to 10 days inside the hen.

Question~
I am going to probably get my daughter a bunny for her birthday next month. She is going to be 10. Which breeds would you recommend for friendliest?

I've been googling....but there are so many bunny options!!

Question~
I am going to probably get my daughter a bunny for her birthday next month. She is going to be 10. Which breeds would you recommend for friendliest?

I've been googling....but there are so many bunny options!!

Well, first you should decide what size of bunny she will be willing to handle.

Most hold for a month before the collect for pure eggs. So separate them and do not collect for a pure hatch for a month or at least 3 weeks.

Well, first you should decide what size of bunny she will be willing to handle.
I think something a little larger would be great. A neighbor found one in their yard and gave it to us a few weeks ago that was maybe 8-10lbs, and it was perfect for her. Unfortunetly for her, a few days later after she became attached we found the owner and gave it back. Owner said the bunny came from TSC a few years ago & that she had know idea what breed (or mixes of) it may be.

I think something a little larger would be great. A neighbor found one in their yard and gave it to us a few weeks ago that was maybe 8-10lbs, and it was perfect for her. Unfortunetly for her, a few days later after she became attached we found the owner and gave it back. Owner said the bunny came from TSC a few years ago & that she had know idea what breed (or mixes of) it may be.

Well I raise Mini Lops (6.5 pounds) and Mini Rex (4 pounds), when were you looking to get one?

You may be able to find one someone on CL is giving away from the pet section, there are a few in the knoxville one that are friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom