Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, for you people who are using them in your house: After they hatch, what do you do? Do you keep brooder in your house also? I could do that for about a month, but then I would have a melt-down.

And BAIRO, I started shots. How long after I am done do I need to wait before I can use that vaccine for ILT?

Listening to your threads makes me realize how much I don't know. I read, read, read, read, read.....books, magazines, interenet, etc. and still IGNORANT. You people are advanced. You are hatching 80 eggs under a hen, and I just want to keep my hen alive. lol

Yes, brood in the house... I don't know many who don't. A month is all you need in the spring.

That last line of yours cracked me up! Storey's guide to raising chickens and for real beginners "4H" guide to raising chickens. Start with 4H then go to Storey's. And I think it's Practical Poultry that does the highlight on a different disease every issue. You can't read enough... not one of us knows it all... which is why we are here in the first place.
wink.png

I'm still researching the ILT vaccine. I am afraid to say do it too early as the vaccine is modified live and causes the body to produce antibodies. I believe any antibiotic needs to be completely out of the system so the action of the penicillin does not attack the vaccine and render it useless. I'm going to ask one of the only other people I trust (with this stuff) to take a look at this for me and give an opinion also.
Agree... the antibiotics will render your vaccine useless.

me too...but to me, and I am no expert..but the birds pictured are not the best looking birds of that breed I have seen...so it would not be worth the money to me for them.

Last edited:
Quote: Me either... at least for FBCM's. But some people might depending on what lines they were I suppose. The thing with FBCM's is that their importation was stopped and so there has not been any fresh blood introduced that I know of. That is why I say they are not for me except the one or two I used to keep just for novelty. You can get them cheaper even for decent lines...and if you just want a hatchery bird for the novelty of having one...then you can get them much much cheaper.
I just sold a POL feathered legged for $25.00 Not regional or national show quality but not bad looking either

Last edited:
me too...but to me, and I am no expert..but the birds pictured are not the best looking birds of that breed I have seen...so it would not be worth the money to me for them.
I'm not a Maran aficionado but they don't make me drop my jaw either. lol. And if they are French Marans... shouldn't their feet be feathered better?

Now, that's ironic! My burro, Jay-jay, was bought for guarding the chickens. We constantly hear people say, down ooltewah-georgetown road, pass the house with the donkey-- Not knowing he's ours, LOL. Is your son in High school, or Elementary??
He's in middle school at CAMS. I look for the burro every time I pass by.
smile.png
Glad to know his name now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom